Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy advice for first time piggie owner pregnancy

piggie84

Cavy Slave
hi hope someone can help

ive had my gp since the 29th december 11 from a pet shop when she was roughly 9/10 wks old
(so we are still gettin used to one another really)

after getting her out last week and putting her on my daughters lap i noticed she was looking rather plump with 2 egg sized lumps either side of her, i automatically booked an appiontment to see a vet to which she confirmed she is expecting, my vet advised a scan to see how many were in there but havent booked this as yet.

i can feel babies moving the last few days with definite big kicks as she was lay on my tummy
and i can also hear a ticking/clicking noise coming from her tummy?
her pelvis has opened over the past 2 days to now a definite gap that is the size of my little finger
any idea how long it will be now???

shes still eating and drinking ok, but having trouble getting her to eat veg (she only seems to like apple but has gone off that too now) so i have bought some vitamin drops to put in her water.
i have also bought some chamomile hay as well as her normal as i could not get alfafal from my pet shop.
i have bought a soft material tube also to put in her house for extra hiding as well as her bed igloo
i have bought some hand towels and been holding her in that to put her scent on in case i should have to assist i can use the towel and not place my scent on any of the babies
today i place a black towel half over her cage whilst i hoovered as i didnt want to stress her out with the noise
am i doing everything right ?

thanks - a nervous first time piggie parent

First, no vitamin drops in the water. It changes the taste of the water, and most pigs will drink less. They also usually lose their effectiveness really quickly, so they don't do any good anyway. You can get a small needle-less syringe and syringe them to her, diluting them as much as necessary.

Does she like any kind of veggies? If so, encourage her to eat those rather than fruit. Also, you can buy plain vitamin C tablets (no multi-vitamins) and crush them over her food.

You don't have to worry about your scent on the babies. It's fine to hold her and them, when they come. Just don't pick her up any more often than you have to until the babies come so you don't put any undue strain on the uterus or her back.

She probably won't hide. They don't burrow, and the babies will run around all over the place.

I don't know anything about the calcium content of chamomile hay, but parsley from the grocery would be fine and likely would be cheaper.

The clicking noise you hear is the babies' teeth chattering.

She's likely to deliver any time now, since you're hearing the babies and the pelvic symphysis is widening. There's no need for an ultrasound at this point, since all it would do is confirm how many babies are in there.

Do be aware of her, and if it looks like she's having trouble delivering, then get her to the vet. Sometimes young sows will only have one large pup, and that's usually a harder delivery than several smaller ones.

If you've been vacuuming in the room all along, the noise shouldn't bother her any more than if she weren't pregnant.

Read (broken link removed) for more information.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.