Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Nutrition Adult & Youngster Together, How to Feed Alfalfa

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
Now that we adopted Quinn, our ultimate plan is to house her and Amy together. However, Quinn is probably around four months old, since we were told her original owner got her in April at 4 weeks old (I'm assuming it was mid-month).

I know pigs need alfalfa for the first year, so right now I'm giving Quinn alfalfa-based pellets. She's in her own cage, but I plan to introduce her to Amy and house them together once I know she's healthy. Amy is over a year and is a chub-butt, so how do I make sure Quinn gets enough alfalfa while not jeopardizing Amy's health? I'd love suggestions from others who have been in the same situation.

I do give lots of floor time, so I supposed it's possible to feed alfalfa pellets/hay at that time, but I don't know if Quinn would eat enough at that point if she's got unlimited food in her age. Other than that, I'm stumped.

Regular timothy pellets/hay, then laptime feeding for the little one. S'what I was forced to do. I actually didn't even feed alfalfa anything, but plenty of blue veggies from the nutrition section. Every day instead of the whole 2-4 times per week recommendation.

I kept reading mixed things about absolutely needing alfalfa. It's not just higher in calcium, but more potein apparently. My pigs did grow quite quickly with what I did, though.

I just gave Buddy parsley during his lap time to make sure he got lots of calcium. He got Timothy pellets and hay just like the adults.

I haven't been in your situation before, but I don't give my 3-month-olds alfalfa, either as pellets or hay. (I bought adult guinea pig pellets and orchard grass). Instead, they get their calcium via veggies. They love their veggies and I wouldn't need to spend extra on alfalfa. So, it's a win-win situation.

You can feed Quinn the calcium-rich veggies during floor- and laptime instead of alfalfa. Quinn would probably enjoy eating veggies more than pellets and hay. My girls do.

Thanks all! I didn't even think about the veggies. Quinn is already eating salad, so I'll keep her on the alfalfa pellets till I move her in with Amy, then switch to Cavy Cuisine and appropriate lap time veggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.