Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General Adopting

Petlovr

Cavy Slave
If we aren't supposed to support pet stores because it encourages in-humane treatment, so where would one go to to get a "special" guinea pig? Like a silkie or a texel?

If we aren't supposed to support pet stores because it encourages in-humane treatment, so where would one go to to get a "special" guinea pig? Like a silkie or a texel?

You watch Petfinder, contact your local rescues or shelters and watch Craigslist. Hoobly has a really beautiful white teddy for $15 in PA right now. I'm really fond of teddies but they're no more "special" than any other guinea pig. I think mixed breeds with some teddy characteristics are even cuter than pure teddies. Petfiinder has a bunch of silkies listed right now. Texels are pretty but they're a LOT of work. They need regular grooming to keep the knots out of their fur and droppings get tangled in very easily. I won't even consider buying a guinea pig. You can find exactly what you're looking for if you're patient and keep looking, plus you're giving a guinea pig a second chance at a good home. Patience is the key.

I think you should find a breeder, I rescued my piggies from a pet store, they had been there for 5 months, it took such a long time to get them used to a healthy diet, company, and interacting with people without being terrified, also their health was rather poor, it is really much better to look for a breeder that has a genuine interest in piggies, and gives them a more personal and safe environment, I didn't know anything about the world of pet stores until I learn about guinea pigs on my own, here, and by having my boys, I would never buy from a pet store again, in fact, I get their food from the vet's office! :D But that is something you have to decide in your own, and you have to feel what you think it's right for you :) I am sure someone here can guide you to find a local breeder, good luck to you!

@boarmommy, you do know that we are anti-breeder and anti-petstore, right? This is a rescue oriented community and we do not support breeding. Please do not recommend other members to get pigs from breeders. They are as bad as pet stores.

Rescues do get a surprising number of "special" piggies. Our local one has 2 skinnies right now, and has had Peruvians, silkies, and any number of mixed piggies (abyruvians etc.) in the past couple of months. But I agree with @pinky that all piggies are special and what attracts me is their personalities. I'm also a sucker for special needs piggies. If you are willing to look around and take some time, you really can find your the pig that is perfect for you and then you'll be perfect for that piggy.

@boarmommy , you do know that we are anti-breeder and anti-petstore, right? This is a rescue oriented community and we do not support breeding. Please do not recommend other members to get pigs from breeders. They are as bad as pet stores.

I think that is great, but I think people should be able to choose for themselves, not all breeders are as bad, I am sure there is honest and good people with a genuine interest, I understand the importance of adopting, unfortunately the problem lays in the fact that most people are lousy pet owners, get bored or tired of the work, and want to get rid of their piggies, adopting should be the first choice, an a breeder the second, I think it's terrible to demonize everything in one category, I feel people here can so so hostile and arrogant, not everything is black and white, the same thing happened when I asked about neutering my piggies, I got a storm of arrogant comments of people saying how it wouldn't work, I am so happy I did it anyway cause it was the solution to my problem, I think, as I said before, adopting should be first choice, BUT not every breeder is necessarily a bad thing! Can't generalized everyone like that! that isn't fair or right.

I think that is great, but I think people should be able to choose for themselves, not all breeders are as bad, I am sure there is honest and good people with a genuine interest, I understand the importance of adopting, unfortunately the problem lays in the fact that most people are lousy pet owners, get bored or tired of the work, and want to get rid of their piggies, adopting should be the first choice, an a breeder the second, I think it's terrible to demonize everything in one category, I feel people here can so so hostile and arrogant, not everything is black and white, the same thing happened when I asked about neutering my piggies, I got a storm of arrogant comments of people saying how it wouldn't work, I am so happy I did it anyway cause it was the solution to my problem, I think, as I said before, adopting should be first choice, BUT not every breeder is necessarily a bad thing! Can't generalized everyone like that! that isn't fair or right.

I agree that it is wrong-headed to point to an individual breeder and say that that breeder, as a person, is somehow evil. They may mean well, and treat their piggies (comparatively speaking) quite well, and even try to do some work with rescues and shelters. Not every breeder is a mill, and not every breeder shoves pigs into small containers and does back-to-back breeding.

That said, breeding does contribute to the problem with cavy neglect, abandonment, and abuse. A breeder may treat his/her pig well, but the fact that some of the pups end up on the market means that someone is buying a pig instead of going to a shelter or rescue. There is absolutely no need in most areas of the world to go to a breeder (there may be some places where there are no rescues or shelters and no population problem; I don't know). It's black and white simply because logic and math are black and white. The production line is black and white.

I personally don't see how we can make an analogy with the neutering issue. 2 of my pigs are altered, two are intact, but the intact ones will never be bred, and due to special needs the surgery is too dangerous for them. And frankly there is much literature on both sides of the benefits. There are some gray areas there.

So, no, it isn't necessarily about a specific breeder, but rather the act of breeding.

If we put our desires to have a certain type of pig before the welfare of that pig and pigs more generally, then we are not being good stewards of these animals and we are indulging our own wants. Not needs -- wants. I can't look in the mirror and say that I paid someone for a pig when 8 piggies were gassed to death last week at my local pound.

That's what should be in our minds when we go somewhere that is breeding more pigs into an overpopulated area: piggies being gassed to death.

I know I'm usually the one who is saying to go diplomatically on some issues, and I'm not pointing at individual posters and I hope people will stay to learn despite being on different ends of things. I'm not saying individuals are evil. But I feel passionately about the breeding issue and remind myself that I have a choice -- these little guys do not.

[And in case anyone thinks I'm on a high horse or imagine myself to be perfect, I will state here: where I lived and raised my kids, we ate guinea pigs. I never saw one alive. So I am convicted also of what I have done. I won't forget.]

The other thing that needs to be considered is that looks can be deceiving. Just because you find the "perfect" looking guinea pig, it doesn't mean that it will be friendly or sociable. I've read blogs where there are concerns that a new guinea pig hasn't bonded to them or it isn't what they expected. Rushing to get that "perfect" pet might result in some instant gratification, but it doesn't mean that the satisfaction will last or the guinea pig will be what you hoped for. You are much better off looking around, holding different and really seeing what's out there.

In my opinion, pet stores are inherently bad while responsible breeders are circumstantially bad. Pet stores who SELL live animals to undereducated people will never be accepted by me. We obviously need new piggies to come from somewhere, so breeding is not inherently evil. If I looked on Petfinder every day and saw 100s of new pigs with the word "adopted" by their names, then I wouldn't have such an issue with breeding. Unfortunately, this is not the world we live in and pig supply will greatly outweigh demand for the forseeable future. Thus, according to circumstances, cavy breeding is both irresponsible and exacerbates overpopulation.

I got silky pig and an abyssinian pig on Craigslist. They turn up. They were *not* taken care of well in their last home. One of them has adjusted well, but the silkie, who by the way is the prettiest pig I have ever seen, in very very skittish. So, just because a pig is lovely doesn't mean much of anything. I think guinea pigs are fascinating enough in their own right, and they don't need to be bred to be pretty.

Sorry, didn't mean to start a heated debate. I WAS wondering where new piggies come from, aside from the irresponsible pet stores that mix genders in one cage. I just want everyone to know that I think ALL 4 of my piggies are very special, and the last 3 I adopted from a rescue. Thanks to the rescue woman for saving my girls lives! My last 3 girls went through hell, and now they are being spoiled here in their new home, they are doing SO WELL, I am so proud of them for beginning to trust me after just 10 days, and thanks to this website, I am doing it ight. I feel we are already bonding:eek:. I find answers to many questions, and am able to ask anything that crosses my mind, and get a sincere answer. I never look for a "attractive" or "perfect" pet. I always want the pet that no one else wants, or that no one thinks is attractive. I can work with just about any personality in an animal. I have rescued 90% of my pets, I've trapped-and tamed- most of my cats, the ones I haven't tamed were tamed by someone else, and I am now working with a local rescue taming wild kittens. Very few people will risk their health to do this work, and yet I find it so very rewarding. (I still don't know enough about piggies to feel comfy rescuing them, but I will foster in the future-I've even looked into it already.) I'm still working on the re-homing of the kittens, since it breaks my heart :guilty: to let them go. I am whole-heartedly against buying pet store animals, and pet stores that sell animals, even fish, because people have NO IDEA what they are doing. I thought I was prepared for my 1st piggie, I read books, and read on the internet, and I still got it wrong. STUPID BOOKS! I really wish I had found this website sooner. Thanks everyone for your input on this question. As I said, I didn't mean to start a heated debate. Anyway, I will always adopt myy animals, because I always have. Thanks again...:love:

@Petlovr I am having troubles finding a pig to adopt in my area as well. There is absolutely no pigs in KY on Petfinder, Hoobly, or my humane societies. I have even posted in Craigslist. Guess we will need patience. Good luck finding your perfect pig!

@boarmommy - We aren't saying breeders are bad people (outside of breeding) but manufacturing more guinea pigs when there are so many in need of homes in shelters and rescues is counter-productive. The rescue I have adopted from has over 100 guinea pigs in need of homes. So suggesting going to a breeder goes against everything that a pro-rescue site works toward.

I dont think all pet stores are bad i think pet store chains are bad. I worked at a local pet store run by bird enthusiasts. We sold used cages and hand made toys. We would occasionally sell a guinea pig or two, but they never came from breeders. They were all local guinea pigs who came from owners who were mistakenly given males who were actually females or already pregnant females. We had a nice size cage for them and kept them healthy and happy. So i think local pet stores are great if run by the right people.

I was actually watching my local Petco store for months because they always had guinea pigs "free" that had been turned in. I finally went on Petfinder and found my 3 new girls. I drove 5 hrs 1 way to get them. It makes me sad to go on Petfinder because I want to adopt them all, and I can't. We have a local pet store that is fabulous, because the people there make sure that you have all the support and info you need to succeed as an owner. I have passed this site on to everyone I know with piggies or bunnies because it's so great.

Just as a side note, I've become addicted to looking at all the piggie pics! I think they are all adorable, and the care and attention that everyone gives their piggies shows in their bright, inquisitive eyes.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.