Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Adopting Mom and Daughter - C&C Cage advice please (Newbie)

Wicket

Cavy Slave
Hello Everyone,

Today I am picking up my first guinea pigs to add to my furbaby family (One small dog, two cats). From what the shelter has told me is that it is a mother around two years old and her daughter who is about one years old. They are in a store bought small size cage, and I'm not quite fond of it. I can see they already have no space just by seeing them at the shelter. As I'm a complete newbie, looking at the photos I'm getting ideas but I'm trying to figure out what is best for their health.

I'm looking at the Medium or Large size of Cages. Or do they require larger? I do not plan on getting more as these two are related unless a non family member would benefit their lives.
Can I get a Patio Level in conjunction with the Second Level Loft?
Would a entire second level be beneficial or would they prefer all one level space to run around more with just the loft for food etc?
For cage placement, I spend all my time in my living room when I am not at work or sleeping, and was going to place their cage there. Would they rather be on the floor or at the height that I am sitting on my couch? I was going to place them on my dinning table for a bit until all 3 of my current pets get used to them (mainly the cats). Just not sure on daily placement after I get my C&C Cage.

Sorry if my questions are extremely newbie, but I could not find the exact answers I was looking for.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hello, welcome, and a big thank you for choosing to adopt!

You'll need a minimum of a 2x4 C&C for two females, but I prefer to be generous and go bigger. You can make a lid out of closet shelving which is sturdy enough that cats can sit on it without it being an issue.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome to the forum! They will probably prefer to be at your height because they are prey animals and won't like you standing over them.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Thank you for adopting and doing the research! Do get the 2x4 or larger, and keep in mind that the main floor level should be that size. Any lofts, second levels, or patios do not count towards the floor space of the cage, since they need a large interrupted area to run and play. The living room will be a great place to keep them, preferably at your height. Good luck with your piggies when you get them :)

Wicket

Cavy Slave
Thanks Everyone, I am just leaving to go pick them up now. They were coming in from the other side of the province.
I have all my Rubbermaid Cubes and Coroplast all ready. I ended up having enough space for a 3x4 enclosure, with stand for now. I found my dog's old mesh playpen with waterproof bottom from when he was a puppy, its about 14 inches high and 62 inches diameter, so I have that set up on the floor infront of my couch as well so the girls will have free time and cage time in the hub of the household.

Now to go find my sewing machine and get some fleece projects going!
Thank you so much again everyone for helping, I can't wait to get them out of this store bought cage the poor things!

Andrea219

Cavy Slave
Enjoy your new additions!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.