Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Adopted piggy very scared

kjmiracle09

Cavy Slave
We adopted a piggy from a rescue for my single piggy Pete. Pete was originally with friends who no longer wanted to care for him. He was in a tiny cage and was held maybe once a week. He is 4 yrs old. Pete is definitely a snuggler/cuddler with us and our daughter.

Alvin our new rescue piggy is so very scared. they said he is around 2 yrs old. They are doing great together but very scared of people. They are in a 2x5 c&c cage. We also redid the whole cage and placed both in the new area.

How long til I can get Alvin to come toward me and not run away? We have tried veggies but he will only eat if I am not near him. When holding him he seems scared and heart races. We know it will take time and patience. I just want to make him feel safe.

Any ideas how to help him not be so scared

Maybe I missed it but you did quarentteen him before putting him with the other pig didn't you?

Anyway it does take patience, a soft voice and with my experience, if the other is calm the new one will learn from him.

When I got my first guinea pig, she was very frightened. It took a while for her to warm up to me, and even now, six months later, she still gets a little nervous when I take her out of her cage. I think it depends on how the guinea pigs were treated in their previous home. If they were not treated very well, they may be a little bit weary of humans. I'm sure if you talk sweetly to your new guinea pig, give him some space and make him feel comfortable, like giving him warm beds and igloos tomhide in, then in no time he will be warmed up to you. Mooka, my first guinea pig, took maybe a week or two to actually let me pet her. She used to bite me whenever my finger came near her, but now she'll lick me and purr :)

Good luck, I'm sure in no time he'll feel safe with you :)

Thanks.. He is so sweet and I can tell he is. He is just so scared. They couldn't tell me what exactly happened in his prior home. BUT you can definitely tell it wasn't good. Health wise the vet said he needs lots of veggies and good food. Which Pete already gets all he wants so that isn't an issue. Looks like he is under weight and just wasn't taken care of.

My daughter keeps asking why people can be not nice like that. I will say that my daughter held him and he started to chatter the first time to her. He was very calm in her arms..

They have a pigloo they are spending time in together. He even seems to like one of the toys. I am making them hidey corners today. Since we increased the cage from 2x4- 2x5 when he came wanted something special for them.

Sorry forgot that. Yes he was quarantined for 5 days. During this time he was taken to the vet. We had him in a smaller cage during this time. The vet said yesterday no longer needed to quarantine and put them together. That it may help him be not so scared.

It sounds like he is doing better! I wouldnt worry, I'm sure in no time he'll be very social and happy, and popcorning all over the place

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.