Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopted Not One, But Two Guineas Last week, Added A Third Tonight. Yea!!

1928jb

Cavy Slave
After loosing our beloved Bearded Dragon Last week, we were devastated. My 17 yr old daughter decided that the best way to get over the loss was to adopt a guinea pig. So, we went to the store and bought one and all her necessities minus the cage. Decided we would use the top half of our Critter Nation and house her in there til I build a C&C cage from supplies from Canadian Tire and Home Depot. Well, we got home and I started looking on some sites and found out they do better in pairs as one piggy is too lonely. Got in the car and drove back to town and bought her sister.

We've had the Guinea Pigs a week today. All is going well, but we have found them to be awfully timid and just wanting to sit in their hide in their cage. I don't know how old they are, but they must be young as they are quite small. I decided today that maybe if I added third female they would be more active. Allison and I drove to the pet store and picked out another piggy that was in with them in the same cage.We brought her home and put her in the cage with the other two and it was just what the doctor ordered. The three of them were running around chasing one another and making all kinds of piggy noises. I think they must have recognized one another. What a change in behavior in the first two.

We are working on getting the piggies used to being handled and take them out of the cage many times a day. They are getting better, but they aren't like our two female rats who act like dogs. I am hoping in time they won't be so scared. I don't know where they came from so I imagine it's been a scary ordeal going from mama to a pet store and then taken to a new home.

I tried adopting a GP off of Kijiji, but everyone was gone and only males were left and I didn't want to take the chance of an unwanted pregnancy. There are enough unwanted GPs out there already. These girls don't know how lucky they are, they have found a wonderful home who is going to spoil them rotten. What's one more? I swear three is enough.

We have named them Coco, Juliet and the new one will be Lola. ❤️

Congrats! Sorry about your dragon, but I know I really enjoy my pigs and their noises...

I really think three will be the magic number. It will take a few days for the new one to settle in, but I think it will be so much nicer.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.