Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Adopted new piggie and have some quetion

Isawilson65

Cavy Slave
We adopted a female piggie yesterday to add to the 2 females we have right now. She is an adult. We have her in quarantine at the moment. We didnt handle her much yesterday. I just wanted her to get used to her surroundings. She did a bit of biting yesterday and today bit me hard. Did not break the skin, but hard none the less. Im afraid to let the kids handle her right now for fear that she may hurt them.

I havent cleaned out her old bedding. Should I? How do I get her to stop biting? Should I leave her be for a while? Her cage rite now is kind of small, would building her a little 2x2 help?
Shes eating and drinking fine.
Any help would be appreciated.
Isa

She is really too stressed right now to be handled. Only pick her up when you need to, like to clean the cage. For the next 3 weeks just have the kids hand feed her little bits of veggies and encourage them to sit by the cage and talk to her and read her books so that she gets used to their voices and smells.

When she bites don't reward her by putting her down. If she bites and you put her down then she will think thats how she gets her way. Guinea pigs don't particularly like being handled. Try to herd her into a box and put your hand over the hole in the box and pick her up that way. Only do that the next 3 weeks when you clean the cage so she isn't too stressed!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.