Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Adopted 2 male guinea's....please help!

trista81

Cavy Slave
Hi i just adopted 2 male guinea pigs, both are 2 years old and i got them from the same person, their daughter was going to college and they couldn't keep them any longer. All their lives they've been in separate cages, i asked if there was a reason why they where kept that way but he said he just assumed that's how they had to be housed, but they have always been side by side. Well anyways i wanted to make them a cage, but before this i wanted to see if they got along so i put them both on the floor and one tried to jump on the other ones back, and they started chattering their teeth at one another. What does this mean, and could it be that they've been housed alone for 2 years that they don't like other guineas now???

Thats normal. Because they have been alone they will need to work out who is in charge. Boys also tend to argue a bit more. I have three together and not a day goes by that someone isnt rumbling at someone or on occation chattering his teeth. As long as there is no blood you should be good. Always moniter their eating habits and weight though to make sure both are eating normally and not losing weight.

That's boys being boys c:

Since they weren't housed together before, they're just working out who's the dominant out of the two of them. It's perfectly normal. Some behaviours of dominance include: Mounting, teeth chattering, ruble strutting, and chasing. Those are just a few off of the top of my head, I'm sure there's more.

Like LitaRutherford above me said, just monitor them closely! As long as they don't lose weight and don't draw blood from one another, I wouldn't separate them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.