Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adopt a female desexed piggy?

maggieweir

Cavy Slave
iu live in melbourne vic and I'm just wondering if any one knew where or who to adopt a desexed guinea popig here is there any shelters besides the rspca?

Re: where can i adopt a female desexed piggy

Spaying is a much riskier surgery for guinea pigs than male neutering is so it's not routinely done. If you have a single male, you'd be better off finding him a male companion or having him neutered before adding a female. If you have more than one male, you shouldn't house a single female, spayed or not spayed, with more than one.

i have 3 females in one cage and one boy in another and i was wondering if i should get a desexed girl to put with him or get him desexed and put him with my 3 girls? please help asap

what should i do my boy guinea pig needs a friend?

i have 3 females in one cage and my only boy in another i know he is lonely so i wanted to get him a friend. he is not desexed. i did try him with another boy but it didn't work out they faught. what should i do? i was wondering if i should adopt a desexed girl fort him or get him desexed and put him with my 3 girls? please help i just want him to be happy :)

Re: what should i do my boy guinea pig needs a friend?

i have 3 females in one cage and my only boy in another i know he is lonely so i wanted to get him a friend. he is not desexed. i did try him with another boy but it didn't work out they faught. what should i do? i was wondering if i should adopt a desexed girl fort him or get him desexed and put him with my 3 girls? please help i just want him to be happy :)

I'd have him neutered and, after the waiting period, introduce and house him with your three females.

Re: what should i do my boy guinea pig needs a friend?

I'd have him neutered and, after the waiting period, introduce and house him with your three females.

This is exactly what I was going to say!!

Yes, it would be easier to have your male neutered and put him w the females.

I do wonder though, how big is the cage you had the two males in who fought? Lack of space is often the cause of boar fighting.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk

how big is the risk because he is my favrouite guinea pig i wouldn't want anything to happen to him and also there are photos of the cages are in my profile. i tried them in both cages. i was also thinking my hutch will be to small for all four so i would have to have 2 girls in one and him and a girl in the other? also because the girl won't be desexed will he still chase her around or will he be friendly?

Since you're in Melbourne, I've heard good things about (broken link removed) (Melbourne Rabbit Clinic -- they treat rabbits and guinea pigs exclusively). Maybe contact Chuffnut Cavies too, (broken link removed)

Are your pigs kept outside? I highly recommend bringing them in the house.

Your hutches aren't really conducive to having a couple of males--there are areas where they can get trapped. And you are right--it doesn't look like either is large enough for four pigs.

Have you looked at the cages on the front page here-- Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home ? It would be great if you could bring your pigs inside and build them something cool like a C&C Cage.

If you can find a good vet, I would definitely get him neutered.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.