Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adolescent males...

Guinea_Piggin

Cavy Slave
My youngest pig, Oliver, is just about 1 year old. And ever since I got up, he's been non-stop pestering Twizzler (2 yrs old) just like they'd met for the first time. :confused:

What Oliver is doing:
-Chattering quietly (no lunging)
-Raising his nose higher than Twizzler's
-Bum sniffing
-Running up to and attempting to mount Twizzler
-If successful, "does his thing" and runs off, only to come back a few second later and try it all over again
-If Unsuccessful, continues to chase Twizzler all over the place repeatedly mounting him on his head, side, and rear.

Twizzler's response:
-Chatter back (a little louder, still no lunging)
-Raising his nose as well, but not as high as Oliver
-Wheeking and chattering and trying to get away as Oliver mounts/tries to mount
-He got a tuft of fur off Oliver's bum once
-Or every few tries he'll just stand there and take it (he's aware of why Oliver is doing this?)

I had them out for floor-time and everything seemed to be going well, they were napping together and behaving as they have been for the last 4.5 months.

Is this a normal "teenager" thing? Or is it something more serious I should be worried about? They've both been checked and cleared for mites. Are eating, drinking, pooping and peeing normally. I'm going to clean the cage and see if that helps (has been about 5 days), but if that doesn't help? Bath time? I just don't get it. They've been fine until I got up this morning, around 11am, it's now 2:30pm and they're still at it.

The only other thing that's changed recently, is I have a cold and have (practically) lost my voice. Could that have anything to do with it?

Last edited:

SheffCavyRescue

Cavy Slave
It sounds like normal behaviour to me. How big is their cage? Sometimes space can be an issue with boars.

I had 2 boars (1 younger and 1 older)living together in a Nero4 and they started to do all that you've just described, I ended up seperating them because it turned nasty. The older boar I'm pairing with another more laid back boar and the younger one I'm getting neutered and will pair him with a sow.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If they are 1 and 2 they aren't teenagers anymore. It's all normal behaviors. I think Oliver is just making sure that Twizzler knows he's still the boss. Things like this are pretty common.

piggiesinpa

Cavy Slave
This all sounds completely normal. I have 5 boars. They run around and do this stuff all time. It's like a little piggy army over there. Unless blood is being drawn, then the behavior is normal.

Guinea_Piggin

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for your responses. I had a feeling it was a normal thing, but I'd not seen it this drawn out before. Figured I'd ask before going as far as separating them. Typically they'll only go at it like this for 30 min to an hour, not 3.5-4 hrs.

As I type now, everything is calm in the cage again, and they're sleeping together like nothing ever happened. -.- I just don't understand them sometimes.

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
My boys are constantly doing that. It's purring/rumblestrutting I think is there favorite thing to do. But boys will be boys right? :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.