Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Adjustment to New Cage: Behavior

Ketus15

Cavy Slave
Hello all! I've browsed around the forum and the Cavyspirit.com page, but can not seem to find a good explanation of adjustment behavior.

My pigs lived in a too-small cage for about 3 years. A week ago they moved into a Cubes&Linoleum cage. Their behavior has been extremely varied. Also, I think they swapped dominance roles! My #2 piggie now seems to "own" the water bottle. Same problem when we add a second water bottle.

They are afraid of some noises, and not others, which they didn't react to in their other cage. Also, they constantly beg at the front of the cage, even though they have unlimited hay and are fed pellets and veggies twice a day.

Also, I noticed that they chose a "potty corner" so we got very excited and put in a litter pan. They are not using the pan, or even that corner now!

Here is a link to our cage and our pigs, if photos help: (broken link removed)

Just making sure that strange/different behavior is rather normal when adjusting to a change this big.

Thank you.

Now that they are in a larger cage your piggies may feel more threatened. They are more out in the open, whereas before they were in a smaller more comforable cage where they felt safer. Any new surroundings are going to make a piggy nervous. When moving piggies to a new environment it puts all the piggies on the same level as far as dominant issues go. So now you may find your piggies changing roles. Remember how a piggy loves being snuggled up in a house, towel, whatever. Thats the same feeling they had in a small cage. Now take away that house, towel, etc., and they now feel vulnerable, (their bigger cage). Everything you mentioned is normal.

Thanks for the information. I guess its about time for Deuce to move up. He's spent 3 years as the #2 (Hence the name!). We'll make sure they have plenty of places to hide.

Give them a few days to adjust to the new surroundings and I bet you will see a big difference in them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.