Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many? Adding Vs. Neutering

mufasa

Cavy Gazer
We're planning to get Borat neutered so he and Amy can be together, but now I'm wondering about getting them each a same-sex companion instead. I was perusing a local shelter's listings (they currently have three boys), and out of curiosity I went into their overall statistics and discovered that they're a kill shelter. It horrified me to see the "other" (i.e. piggies, bunnies, etc.) euthanasia stats.

We could make room for two new piggies, which would pretty much be our max. The idea of saving a couple more lives is appealing, but my only concern is two boars not getting along. Borat is very laid-back guy, but I have no idea how he'd act with "competition," and I imagine I'd have to move the sow and boar housing so they can't see each other. Right now they're next door and can touch noses, but I'm guessing close proximity to sows would make the boars competitive.

I'd love opinions from those with pairs of both sexes on how well it works, how far apart you have to keep them etc.

Lol you sound like me! I have 7 because I felt so guilty that I was able to take on more. My cage looks like this:
The cage is a bit different now because this was taken a month or so ago and I have changed things a bit. My boys are on the bottom two levels and the girls are on top. I am adding a second 2X6 on top for the girls this weekend. I did have problems with boys fighting but the male that was causing the problems is going through puberty. My other two males get along perfect. They NEVER fight. I am home all day and I have seriously never heard them fight. They are the perfect pair. I think it will all depend on the personality of them new pig. Also if you do this you won't be putting you little Borat at risk by neutering him and saving some more pigs :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.