Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Adding new pigs to my pair - Another pair? Babies?

Piggehs

Cavy Slave
Hi all!

I've got two awesome lady pigs - ~8 months and ~11 months. They're a well-bonded mom and daughter pair; the original owners rehomed them after the birth. They're happily living in a 5x2 C&C cage.

I've been thinking about growing the herd, but I'm not in a rush. I've read the awesome Livejournal post about introductions, but I've got a few questions:

1. Can I safely add another bonded pair? I've noticed that pairs are more often available for adoption. I'd probably upgrade to a 2x6 or larger if I planned to go this route.

2. Can I safely add a baby? Or will a younger, smaller pig be unable to defend herself?

3. I'm mostly interested in adding females -- but that's just because I'm terrified of adopting a male, bringing him in to get neutered, and then having him die on the table. :( How risky is the procedure? Am I being totally irrational?

Last edited:

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
I don't see why not. When adding a bonded pair, at least the two new pigs are already used to being in the presence of another pig, so I would think it would be a bit easier in that aspect. I introduced a single one year old female to my 5 month old bonded pair, and it was a bit rough because she hadn't been around other pigs her whole life. But sows tend to get along easier, and they all settled down and live happily together now.
And I would definitely go larger than a 2x6. The more space for the four of them, the better. :)

I think a younger pig will be fine. How well introductions go is based on personality rather than age. I'm sure she can defend herself plenty fine if she needs to.

If you already have females, I would stick with females. Many people do have their boars neutered, but in my opinion, if you can avoid it, I would. Everyone's opinions will vary. I myself don't know much about the surgery. Not to mention you will have to have him quarantined for 4 to 6 weeks to ensure pregnancy doesn't occur. New pigs should be quarantined for that length of time anyway to avoid spreading sickness, but not everyone is able to. I wasn't, and everyone's healthy. Also, if you added a boar pair, they would fight over the girls. It's best to have one boar per female herd, unless your herd is huuuuge.

pawner69

Cavy Slave
I haven't had any troubles with introductions. I had 2 girls, added our male who we had neutered without any trouble, added 2 more girls, then added 2 more. All 7 live together happily. Occasionally there will be minor scuffles but I think that's just part of having a large herd.

As far as neutering goes, I believe if it can be avoided it's better, but as long as you have a good exotics vet there should be no trouble. Our boy was eating and acting normally as soon as we picked him up.

I am a firm believer that if you have the room, more piggies is always better!! Hahahahaha

Here are my 7 at breakfast time.

e1fb724696e6880b201521200ffd29dd.jpg