Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Introductions Adding a baby/young piggy to the herd. What do I need to know? A few questions.

piggypuppylove

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Hi all! I am going to adopt my fourth piggy next week. I found him through craigslist and immediately fell in love. I've talked to the owners, and they had an oops litter after buying two pigs (supposedly male) from Petsmart. I'll be picking him up on Wednesday. [GuineaPigCages.com] Adding a baby/young piggy to the herd. What do I need to know? A few questions.

Is the quarantine period the same with babies?

I know I'll need to baby proof... how high should I go up (will 8 inches be good?)

Once I introduce him to the herd, how do I go about feeding him alfalfa based pellets, and is this a necessity? I currently feed Oxbow pellets.

My pigs are very social... so they should accept the new little guy just fine (and don't worry, before he comes home with me I will make SURE that he is indeed a he, I've seen to many oops litters on here so I know better). Do baby/young pigs generally adapt to the herd fairly easy?

I'm SUPER excited!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.