Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Access to pellets--all day long or restricted? Messy eater--throws hay everywhere--s

PrincessPeanut

Cavy Slave
Just curious as to what everyone else does. At first we were leaving a bowl of pellets for our new little piggie Noel, but then I read that you should only leave the bowl out for an hour and then take it away and give it again for an hour in the evening. When we did that she was noticeably annoyed and digging around looking for pellets all day. I feel like she's so small, she can't eat that much at any one time yet, and should probably have access to it whenever she wants--what say the voices of experience :) ?

Also, wondering if anyone has a good way to secure the hay? We tried to put it in the ball, she pulled it all down on the floor. We tried to put it in a bowl, she purposely tipped it over and spread it all over the floor (she does this with her pellets, too). She won't eat the hay that falls on the floor and has been there for a while, so we are wasting lots of hay. Any suggestions? I was looking into one of those hay mangers with the bowl for pellets attached--does anyone use these?

Your piggy only needs 1/8 to 1/4 cups of pellets per day (Babies need alfalfa based, 6 months and up need timothy based). It is the least important part of their diet.

Guinea pigs are foragers by nature, so it is good to feed them 2-3 times daily. You could split the pellets into 2 serving and give half in the morning and half at night.

Are you feeding her her daily cup of veggies? This you can also split up into 2 or 3 feedings.

Since hay is the most important part of your pigs diet you should allow 24/7 access to a good grass hay like timothy, bluegrass, orchard, or brome.

Check out the photo galleries for clever ways people have come up with to feed hay. Personally I use a utensil holder from Bed, Bath, and Beyond (borrowed the idea from the gallery).
Hay Racks - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

Yes, we are working up to veggies--she had not had them before, so I am taking it slowly increasing it daily for her. She's been eating carrots, brocolli (twice in the past week), and pepper slices each day. She's not fond of the lettuce, but we are working on that. She's quite young and small, will she still be able to eat the cup of veggies? She didn't make that quota today for sure, but not for us not trying. She just didn't want to eat them. She prefers us to hand feed her the veggies. I'm glad to hear you say that about the pellets, but she's definitely fond of them! LOL I will check out the ideas for the hay feed now--thanks again!

Yes, we are working up to veggies--she had not had them before, so I am taking it slowly increasing it daily for her. She's been eating carrots, brocolli (twice in the past week), and pepper slices each day. She's not fond of the lettuce, but we are working on that. She's quite young and small, will she still be able to eat the cup of veggies? She didn't make that quota today for sure, but not for us not trying. She just didn't want to eat them. She prefers us to hand feed her the veggies. I'm glad to hear you say that about the pellets, but she's definitely fond of them! LOL I will check out the ideas for the hay feed now--thanks again!

Pepper slices are great!! Green and yellow can be fed daily and are very healthy and full of vitamin C. Red and orange are also full of vitamins, but are higher in sugar, so only feed once or twice a week.

Try not to give too much broccoli as it can cause discomfort due to gas. But it's a good start with the veggies. You should feed small amounts of carrots too, as they contain more sugar then most veggies.

Try cilanto. Most pigs seem to love it. Keep up the good work!! Feeding piggies is like trying to feed kids. Picky Picky Picky :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.