Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior Abyssinian personality?

couchon

Cavy Slave
Do different breeds of pigs have different personalities? Different dog breeds have very different personalities. I never thought that piggies did, but I just read online that Abyssinians tend to be friendlier and more mischievous :crazy: The person did mention that that was purely observed behavior and not something scientific. I just got a baby Abyssinian, so I am wondering if that's true.

I also read that they are more prone to some health problems, like eye problems :weepy: I was wondering about that too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beahbeah

Cavy Slave
I have owned three guinea pigs, one Peruvian and two Abyssinians (I have the two abbys right now), and my sister has owned one short-hair and one Abyssinian. It definitely seemed like the Abbys had/have a more spunky personality; however it's also possible that, since Abbys look a little cuter because of their hair growth patterns (to me at least), we interpret their behaviours as more mischievous.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
In my experience, abbys are a lot more likely to be troublemakers than the smooth haired pigs. I mean that in the most affectionate way.

As for health problems, I'm not aware of abbys having any specific things they are prone to.

couchon

Cavy Slave
How about their affection towards humans?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
No difference between them and the other breeds/varieties. That has always depended on the pigs personalities/level of my interaction with them.

couchon

Cavy Slave
So, what exactly do you mean that they are troublemakers :) I am just curious as to what to expect.

Also, my first piggie (she is an English crested a year and three months old, and the baby Abyssinian is one months and a few day) is really, REALLY shy and quiet. She hides away a lot. Is she going to be overwhelmed when I introduce the baby, or will the baby bring her out of her shell? Are there any problems I should anticipate?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Just harmless stuff, stealing each other's food, bickering, squabbling, stealing things from you. Just troublemaking stuff. An example would be Chompsky, who's on antibiotics right now. He gets a dose of acidophilus before the AB and the acidophilus must taste glorious because Chompsky will steal the syringe from me and run away. He popcorns at me when I tell him to give it back. Just stuff like that.

As long as you introduce them on neutral territory it should be okay. In my experience, females are really easy to introduce, especially an older girl and a baby.

Piggly is I

Cavy Slave
I have two abbysinians and they are wild! ive had them before and had the same outcomes so here is my conclusion

Abbys: my abbys always want to explore and get into stuff, they also love to play with other piggies and take all the veggies for themselves. they also get alot more sleep time than my other pigs.

Teddys: teddys just want to chill, my sophie hates it when the abbys want to play so she runs off to another corner. very affectionate and not very vocal. their hair makes it like shes a human swiffer and collects everything in her coat that she passes.

Smooth haired (american): this pig was kind of weird, she never sqeeked a day in her life, and she only lived for a year. very friendly and never tried to bite before.

My friends abby is huge and likes to get out of her cage.

This is what i think these breeds traits are based on my experiance with them. I dont know if this is very accurate, so iI'll leave that for you to decide.

sealion

Cavy Slave
I think it depends on the piggy.
I have two guinea pigs (females) one aby and one american.
Lily (the aby) only bites when I hold her incorectly. She is so nice, she licks people (so cute !) snuggles with her stuffed animals etc.
Rose, (the american) is also very nice, but for lap time, if you don't pet her were she wants you to, she'll bite you :p .
In the past, I also had 2 other piggies.
Nina, an american, was very adventurous, would always want to get out of her cage for floor time etc.
My second piggy (also an american) was very laid back. When out for floor time, he would never move.
So, I think it depends on the piggy. Also, both of my piggies are adventurous.

Pulsepoint129

Cavy Slave
Do different breeds of pigs have different personalities? Different dog breeds have very different personalities. I never thought that piggies did, but I just read online that Abyssinians tend to be friendlier and more mischievous :crazy: The person did mention that that was purely observed behavior and not something scientific. I just got a baby Abyssinian, so I am wondering if that's true.

I also read that they are more prone to some health problems, like eye problems :weepy: I was wondering about that too.

My boyfriend and I just took in a 7 week old Abyssinian boy we named Patch on May 19th. I have to agree that, compared to his smooth-haired, American "big brother" Felix he is quite eccentric! He warmed up to us almost instantly...he still runs when we go near the cage, (he's a little guy though so that's pretty common) but he's finally getting courageous enough to take a little piece of carrot out of our fingers. I use the word "eccentric" because he'll popcorn for no reason. Going to get a drink of water? Popcorns all the way there. Going to make poopies in his hut? Popcorns all the way in there. He also LOVES playing "butt tag" with Felix; he'll run up from behind and give Felix a little bump on the bum with his nose and then run through his tunnel. When I bring in the fresh veggies, I make sure to divide it in half, yet Patch still insists on stealing whatever Felix has, straight from his mouth! He also has to mimic EVERYthing that Felix does. (E.G, Felix goes for a drink of water and Patch decides it's time for a drink of water--Out of the same water bottle, WHILE Felix is still trying to drink!) While Felix is very mellow and easy-going...Patch has got a LOT of spunk (more than Felix did when he was the same age) and is much more funny to watch pouncing around the cage. He also is much more vocal than Felix--you can't even open the closet door without him going crazy, thinking he's always getting fed. :heart:

I have never had an Abyssinian until recently, so I cannot say for sure if there is any correlation between specific breeds and personality but as a personal testament: Absolutely! :)

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
It all depends on the individual pig in my opinion. Each pig has a different personality, and so each pig acts differently on a number of different levels. No two pigs are the same.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.