Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Abyssinian GP

Susan613

Cavy Slave
How come I don't see that many Abyssinian Guinea Pigs anymore? It seems like all I see are the short haired rat looking kind. Don't get me wrong, their cute, but I had a silkie Abyssinian and he was just the cutest thing in the world. I want to clone him, but I know it's crazy and costs as much as a house.

It could be that the pet places (pet shops, Humane Societies, etc.) don't/rarely have them where you live. I actually see all kinds of Abys around where I live, I have one of my own.

I don't know what planet you're on, but there are plenty of abys here on earth. Mine's not silky, but she's got plenty of long hair. At least she does when I haven't chopped it off!

I have my abby/abby mix! And I'd compare the americans more to a capybara then a rat. At least mine reminds me of a capybara, just a lot smaller! Haha but yeah i've seen so many abby's its not even funny. Abby world domination!

Abbys are typically taken in a heartbeat because of their unqiue looks
I perfer personality over looks. Tho I do love those "bed head" piggys xD

she's got plenty of long hair. At least she does when I haven't chopped it off!

this as well. Alot of people either don't want to or dont have the time to care for that endless hair of theirs. So they trim the hair and thus they look more like an american short hair.

I guess you must be looking in the wrong places because if you take some time to browse petfinder, you will see plenty of abyssinians. They definitely are not vanishing.

Just out of curiosity, I just took a look at petfinder for my local area and found 15 abyssinian guinea pigs on the first five pages.

The Petsmart near here has 8 or so guinea pigs, and 3 of them are Abyssinians. Also, Petco has one guinea pig and it's an Abyssinian as well.

Abbys are typically taken in a heartbeat because of their unqiue looks
I perfer personality over looks. Tho I do love those "bed head" piggys xD

I donno, i think anyone who takes home an abby just for their looks is in for a surprise! Abby-tude is such a true statement. XD their cuteness just adds an "Awwwww" factor. Though I think teddys are cuter. So fluffy! Lol

Ha Ha, that's true, LitaRutherford. Mine was a real pistol.

There were two at the SPCA near me. You just have to stalk them online. They come up. I don't have abbys but that is where I got my girls and there were two abbys there, a white one and a gold and black one.

That's 'cause we're hogging them all down here in Texas.... :D If you look at the piggies down here in Texas a good portion of them are Abys.

No, seriously, five of my seven piggies are Abys or part Abys. The others are a Teddy and a texel.

I've noticed this in my area too actually, I've never ever seen anything but an american and an aby in the humane societies here. Now it seems to only be americans. I have one of each. I picked my aby before I knew about the different breeds, and she's kept me busy with her uhm, bold, personality. haha. The crazy hair gives her a rebel look, and she's so darn cute so I can't stay too mad when she eats my shirt during laptime, or whatever trouble she can get into.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.