Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Abscess Abscess Scab

Manuelax_

Cavy Gazer
Hello ! So my Guinea pig Coco , abscess popped about 2 weeks ago , they gave him Baytril, I been cleaning his abscess with warm water and salt and also putting a little of Neosporin.His eating hasn’t changed , he still has been a lot lol.Today that I was cleaning his wound , it’s scab is literally clinging from a corner, but idk what I should do. Should I let fall by itself and just keep flushing the inside or what?? The vet gave me an appointment and few days from now. Please help, any advice or something that I should buy to help him. Thank you !! I appreciate it

Soecara

Cavy Slave
You need to keep it open for it to heal from the inside out or it will just reoccur. If there is a lump still underneath the scab it is probably filling back up with pus, in which case you will need to take the scab off and get all of the pus out then start flushing again, you should have ideally been removing the scab and flushing all of the pocket daily.

When the pocket has healed the scab will not only be flush with the surrounding skin it will also be much smaller then when you started, in my experience I kept trying to take the scab off daily but as it got very close to fully healed it was only possible to remove the scab every 2-3 days and that only happened 3 times until all the skin had regrown over the spot the scab used to be.