Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

About 90% sure...

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
Well I am pretty sure that I have a pregnant piggie on my hands. I got her from someone off craigslist who had an accidental litter. Although I wanted to adopt more than on, she was the last one. They told me they had separated the males from females, but looks like my little Mocha is pregnant. Two days ago my bf and I were iffy on whether or not she was, but has seemed to balloon! I'd say her belly has almost grown a third more of it's original size, and she now has a problem with me touching her tummy. I was trying to just leave a couple fingers on it to see if I could feel any bubs, but she wasn't having it! It was kind of odd because she previously didn't mind. I also have tried to run my finger down her spine to see if I could feel if her pelvic bones were separating, but could not tell what was what.

For those of you that have had pregnant cavys, did their belly ever grow that much in a small amount of time?

I am also wondering what I need to do as far as her care goes? She has alfalfa, oxbow cavy cuisine, and daily veggies/fruits. I know I'll need to baby proof the C&C cage if she has them.

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
Thanks for all the advice lol

So, I am about 100% sure. I really need to invest on a scale, but not sure where to buy one. Does anyone know? I want to watch her weight, and well as be able to weigh the babies.

I just wish I knew about when she would be having them. I havn't felt any babies kicking, which I've read means you have about another 2 weeks. I try not to handle her too much, but she still gets lap time daily. As well as her outside of the cage time. She really doesn't like me touching her belly anymore, so I don't pester her too much.

Last edited:

Silverbeat

Cavy Slave
She certainly needs a vet checkup. And you will want to be careful about how often you're picking her up. Use something like a blanket or a "piggy elevator" when you do pick her up so that her weight is supported by her feet, and no pressure is being put on her tummy.
This is the scale I've used for the past two years: Amazon.com: Polder 2109 Gourmet Add'N'Weigh Scale, 5-Pound: Kitchen & Dining
As far as the sudden growth... I know that some animals, like sheep, grow their babies very slowly for most of the gestation period [for sheep it's winter and food is scarce/not very nutritious], and then in the last few weeks [spring, very nutrient-dense food starts growing] the fetus grows rapidly. I don't know if this is true for guinea pigs, as I was only present for the last week or so of my pigs' pregnancies.

Deb's4Pigs

Cavy Slave
You can buy a scale anywhere. WalMart, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond. I don't know much about babies. Either human or guinea pig. lol

trexgorawrrrrr

Cavy Slave
She certainly needs a vet checkup. And you will want to be careful about how often you're picking her up. Use something like a blanket or a "piggy elevator" when you do pick her up so that her weight is supported by her feet, and no pressure is being put on her tummy.
This is the scale I've used for the past two years: Amazon.com: Polder 2109 Gourmet Add'N'Weigh Scale, 5-Pound: Kitchen & Dining
As far as the sudden growth... I know that some animals, like sheep, grow their babies very slowly for most of the gestation period [for sheep it's winter and food is scarce/not very nutritious], and then in the last few weeks [spring, very nutrient-dense food starts growing] the fetus grows rapidly. I don't know if this is true for guinea pigs, as I was only present for the last week or so of my pigs' pregnancies.

I normally kind of scoop her out, but never thought of a piggy elevator. I will be sure not to put any pressure on her stomach. I also ordered that scale, only 14$. I like the area where you actually put things into, seems like it might work in my favor since I'll be weighing guinea pigs. lol they won't be able to escape or fall and get hurt.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.