Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Abandoned Animals

Hooray4Ashley

Cavy Slave
Hello Everyone!
I work for a veterinary hospital. Anyone who works at one knows that amount of abandoned animals we have left at our door steps. It's nothing uncommon to come in in the morning to a box of kittens. This past week we had two sets of abandoned babies. The first was a box of three kittens, that couldn't have been more than two weeks old. They were in rough shape. We couldn't find anyone willing to bottle feed them, and weren't even sure they stood a chance if someone did. So, we had to call animal services. Animal services around here euthanizes for everything. So, basically we knew the fate of those kittens.

Thursday we went in to find a woman waiting outside of our door with a box of kittens. They were in a rubbermaid container with one single hole cut in the top half dime sized. The woman had seen a woman dumping then at our door. She tried to stop her, but there was really no point. She said that they got the top off the box and were running all over our parking lot. She gathered them back up, and waited until someone got there.

There was 4 of them. One of the employees claimed one, so we were left with three to figure out what to do with. They are about 14 weeks old. All female. One is a gorgeous gray color, one is tiger and white, and one is solid black. They have wonderful personalities. Generally we can only hold them for so long before we have to turn them over to animal services. We have convinced the doctor to give us some time with these. We gave them their first vaccines, and dewormed them. We are giving them flea baths tomorrow. So, basically, we are looking for people to adopt these little babies. I am located in the Tampa, FL area, in a small city just south of Tampa. Anyone interested? I have a theory that anyone who has a cat doesn't want another, and anyone who doesn't have a cat doesn't want one. Please help save these babies from euthanasia. We are trying our hardest to adopt them out, with no luck so far. I have three cats of my own, plus three dogs, and two guinea pigs, and I am a student and a full time vet tech. If I had time, I would take one, but I can't.

Carissa

Cavy Slave
I just want to say thanks for helping those kittens. It must be very frustrating, not to mention heartbreaking. All my cats that I have now were once drop offs or unwanted and I couldn't imagine why anyone wouldn't love them. I just can't understand why people think cats are disposable.

Good luck finding homes, I wish I could could offer more than that but I live so far away.

MissCin

Cavy Slave
That sucks. Some people are just so irresponsible. I want to take in a stray cat, she's really sweet and she's always outside my house. Unfortunately, I can't. I have three cats already and my mom doesn't want any more. We have tried picking her up and putting her in a carrier so that we can take her to a shelter but she freaks out and runs away. She always comes back though. We might buy two or three have-a-heart (I think this is what they're called) tramps.

The thing is, the 're like four more stray cats that love to sit outside my house and get some food. I try to ignore them because I know I can't have another one but it's so hard. So I feed them and now they wont go away which is making my mom angry. One of them used to be our old neighbors, they moved and they left him. I can't belief anyone would leave their pet behind. >( I could never be able to do that, plus my cats don't go outside anyways, its dangerous out there!

Two of my cats used to be strays , Kitty the fourteen year old (we think her owners also left her behind because she's neutered) and Garfield a three year old. His mom and his four little brothers lived in our bushes, we never tried to help them until two do them got hit by a car so then we decided to take them in. We kept Garfield and took the rest to a shelter.

I'll stop talking now!

Hooray4Ashley

Cavy Slave
All I can ever say about it (when they are actually healthy) is "at least they didn't just dump them somewhere else". We always open through our back door. If people see the front door open they tend to flood our waiting room and the techs get there way before the receptionists. Well one day our key wouldn't open the door. It had NEVER happened before. So we went to the front. There was a laundry basket with a chihuahua in it. It was like something was telling us to go to the front, because otherwise we wouldn't have noticed until a client pointed it out (we unlock the door from the inside). It was in terrible condition. Looked to be about 2 years old. it's head was jerked in the most horrible position, it's body almost in a U, with it's neck bent backwards. We did what we could do for it before the doctor and/or animal services got there, we could not legally euthanize her without a doctor present. Animal services got there before our doctor. I called to check on her the next day...apparently (which is what we thought) her neck and back were broken. She was in respiratory distress when they got there and she HAD to be euthanized. It was terrible.
These kittens were in decent shape, minus the fleas. I felt like we HAD to help them. They were tested for Felv (leukemia), FIV, and FIP and all viral tests negative. We vaccinated, and dewormed them. We bathed them today. So now we're just waiting for forever homes. No luck as of yet, but hopefully someone will know someone. If we put them in our lobby they would be gone within a day, but they would be gone to the wrong people.

Hooray4Ashley

Cavy Slave
That sucks. Some people are just so irresponsible. I want to take in a stray cat, she's really sweet and she's always outside my house. Unfortunately, I can't. I have three cats already and my mom doesn't want any more. We have tried picking her up and putting her in a carrier so that we can take her to a shelter but she freaks out and runs away. She always comes back though. We might buy two or three have-a-heart (I think this is what they're called) tramps.

The thing is, the 're like four more stray cats that love to sit outside my house and get some food. I try to ignore them because I know I can't have another one but it's so hard. So I feed them and now they wont go away which is making my mom angry. One of them used to be our old neighbors, they moved and they left him. I can't belief anyone would leave their pet behind. >( I could never be able to do that, plus my cats don't go outside anyways, its dangerous out there!

Two of my cats used to be strays , Kitty the fourteen year old (we think her owners also left her behind because she's neutered) and Garfield a three year old. His mom and his four little brothers lived in our bushes, we never tried to help them until two do them got hit by a car so then we decided to take them in. We kept Garfield and took the rest to a shelter.

I'll stop talking now!

To your stray situation. I don't know about your area, but the humane society around here allows for feral cats in their spay/neuter program. They will spay/neuter them for any size big or small donation, clip the corner of their ear (it signifies that they have been altered), and then give them back for you to release them. That way if someone sees them, the clipped ear shows they have been altered, and you don't have a rising cat population.

heatherbunnie

Cavy Slave
I hope you're able to find home for the kittens! How sad....

MissCin

Cavy Slave
To your stray situation. I don't know about your area, but the humane society around here allows for feral cats in their spay/neuter program. They will spay/neuter them for any size big or small donation, clip the corner of their ear (it signifies that they have been altered), and then give them back for you to release them. That way if someone sees them, the clipped ear shows they have been altered, and you don't have a rising cat population.
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think that I would release them, it would make me feel bad specially during bad weather. I Talked to my parents and they said that I could 'pick' one to become the new member of the family but I can't do that. I'll feel bad for the others so we have decided to take them to a shelter. Is this a good idea? I just don't know what to do. I don't want them to suffer in the streets without food and theres a lot of malicious people out there.

What do you guys do when the animals are 'dumped' there? Do you take them a shelter?

Anyway, I'm sorry for taking over you thread.

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
At my vet office they have cages in the font with kittens in it for adoption.They make you fill in an application, and the adoption fee is $200, and includes their shots, deworming, and spay/neuter when they are old enough. Maybe your vet could try this. The price would scare away of alot of the not so responsible people. My vet adopts out alot of kittens, they don't take them to the shelters, because, well you know. Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.