Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Advantage Aaaaaahh!!! My piggies have lice and I'm completely freaked :(

SeeSpotSit

Cavy Slave
Who knows how long they've had lice! How do they get them???

So I read the Guinea Lynx Advantage info but I don't understand the dose...AND is it safe for a 5 month old piggie? Lastly, if they weigh 900 grams and 960 grams, how much of the little vial do I put on them? I was thinking a drop but how do I know? Also, I get the kitty advantage correct? They have under 9 pound and over 9 pound vials...Ugh... Thank you!

OK. They are about 2 pounds each. (https://www.guinealynx.info/weight_conversion.html)

So they need 10mg Advantage per pound. (https://www.guinealynx.info/antiparasitics.html#advantage )

2 pounds x 10 mg per pound = 20 mg per pig every 30 days.

Dosage, topical 10mg/pound. 10mg of Advantage is found in approximately 0.1cc of the product.

So your doseage for each pig is .2cc
That is POINT TWO CC
It's an itsy bitsy amount.

READ THE LINKS I GAVE YOU! It goes behind their ears. If you aren't sure how to measure it, get an someone to help. DO NOT GUESS! You want the under 9 pound vial, and you'll need to draw it up in a syringe.

It is safe for a 5 month old. I can't answer about the kitten formula. Sorry. Good luck.

We use a small syringe marked in fractions of a CC to get an accurate dose behind each ear. Split the total dose in two -- since piggies usually have two ears!

Alright, the first thing that you need to do is not freak out. I recently finished treating my piggies' infestation.

I was quite nervous to use medicine myself. After a long talk with my vet (a cavy owner and exotics professional) she said that the only medication that she would use is Revolution. She said that it does a better job that Advantage, and the original Advantage is very hard to find. If you can, I would suggest that you take the pigs to the vet (unless you've already been) and have the vet apply topical treatment.

As to how did they get them, I can only tell you how my pigs contracted lice. My sow's mother had lice when she was pregnant. Then, when she gave birth to her litter, Toni contracted nits that lay dormant. The vet did not see this at the health check before I adopted her, because the nits were being sneaky. Then, when I adopted Toni and her bond, Griffin, the latent nits became active. I have a blog about my experience with lice if you would like to read it.

Also, some vets recommend shaving. However, the choice is completely up to you and your vet. My vet and I decided that the best option would be to treat with Revolution and shave Toni. However, Griffin was not shaved. Some people think that it is unnecessary; there is some debate about it in the cavy world, so just go with what your vet thinks best in your pigs' case.

Also, if you live in or close to the UK, Gorgeous Guineas makes an all natural shampoo for lice called Lice an' Easy.
(broken link removed)

I live in the US, and ordered this before I took the pigs to the vet. However, it arrived much too late for me to use it. This is very important: DO NOT use this shampoo whilst using ANY topical treatments! It will disable the treatment and render the medication useless!

However, it it will arrive very, very quickly to your house then I would say use that if you can't get your hands on some Revolution first.

My understanding is that Revolution works better than Advantage, but requires a prescription from a vet. If you do use Advantage, you want the original formula, not Advantage II.

Thanks everyone!! I think I can get original advantage tomorrow. I do have a vet appointment on Monday but would really like to get something on them tomorrow...so I'm hoping I can put the advantage on them tomorrow. Unfortunately, I did order shampoo from Gorgeous Guineas but NOT the lice one, since I didn't know! If I can't get the advantage I'll just go to my appointment. :)

Take the info for revolution with you to the vet, I did and my vet was thankful and treated mine with it right away. It total seems to have worked.

I'm super happy I thought to contact my rescue. They applied 2 drops of revolution to each pig, she told me to then give them a good scrubbing bath tomorrow and again in a week, wash all bedding in hot and I should be good to go. Oh and I threw away all wood... YAY!

@kananaka - your vet applied revolution? Did you do baths and all fleece washed in hot? How long ago and have they stayed away?

Anyone have any idea if they can get lice from the hay?

How do piggies get lice??

I'm super happy I thought to contact my rescue. They applied 2 drops of revolution to each pig, she told me to then give them a good scrubbing bath tomorrow and again in a week, wash all bedding in hot and I should be good to go. Oh and I threw away all wood... YAY!

@kananaka - your vet applied revolution? Did you do baths and all fleece washed in hot? How long ago and have they stayed away?

Anyone have any idea if they can get lice from the hay?
I did not do baths. They had 2 doses they 2nd one being on the 10th of this month, they were really infected and still had nits on them at the end of the month (they had also been treated with 2 doses of Ivermectin but it did not kill the lice before we tried Revolution). I disinfected their cage with bleach and water (had to drag it outside) and completely washed fleece in hot water and dried it several times to get the heat through it. They are lice free now, but I am still keeping an eye on them because it has only been a few weeks since their 2nd dose, but their hair looks different, they are hardly scratching, I do not see anything, and I swear Miranda just feels like she finally has some "fat"on her (I think the lice were really hurting her). My vet said not to bathe them for at least a month. I still have not bathed them at all but I am going to next weeks cage cleaning day.

No idea how pigs get lice, mine came with them and I noticed the day after we got them. The previous owners had no clue (or so they say).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.