Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

A Trip to the Vet

RegalFlame

Cavy Slave
Lately, my guinea pig Spiffy has been hooting-just like an owl. I've read somewhere that is a sign of URI, so I rushed her to the vet. He found out that she didn't have URI-or so he says, but after telling him about her loss of appetite and her desire to drink more water, he figured there was something else wrong. After observing her some more, he said her kidneys were a bit small-but he said she may have been born like that and it was okay. He also noticed her grinding her teeth, almost all the time and checked her mouth- which seemed okay. Then he figured that it meant that she was uncomfortable, but with what, he wasn't quite sure. We were told that the best thing to do is to give her some antibiotics just in case and maybe have some x-rays taken. It was then decided that Spiffy should first take some antibiotics, and in the end, if she didn't get better then we'd take her for some x-rays. They gave her many shots to inject the antibiotics and gave us some medicine so we can give it to her at home. It was frightening-hearing Spiffy squealing in pain when they gave her the shots, and she bled a lot. I don't know how I'm going to give her the shots by myself later! When we got home, I let her back into her cage and she ran straight to her pigloo. Afterwards, when I decided to check on her, I noticed her nosing at the food, but when she noticed me she darted back into her pigloo. I think now that she's afraid of everyone, because of the shots she had taken that day. What can I do to make her trust us again besides give it time... I know that we'll have to give her atleast several more shots, and I don't know if she can take it...

What shots are you going to give her? I never heard of that. Usually you give medication orally. This is new to me.

Actually.... The vet didn't say. One was to inject Vitamin C, incase it was scurvy, another was to get the food flowing in her stomach incase it was stuck... Nothing was really explained to me- but the Vet was one of the vets recommended in some website that I forgot. The vet I went to makes his own medicine so I'm not sure if it's actually called anything...

and checked her mouth
Did he check her molars? The pig needs put under light anesthesia and they need to use buccal pad seperators to see the molars.

The vet I went to makes his own medicine so I'm not sure if it's actually called anything...
You seriously need a new vet, this one doesn't sound cavy savvy at all if he sent you home with shots instead of oral meds and if he makes his own medicine. Who knows what he gave your piggie.

Ly&Pigs said:
Did he check her molars? The pig needs put under light anesthesia and they need to use buccal pad seperators to see the molars.

You seriously need a new vet, this one doesn't sound cavy savvy at all if he sent you home with shots instead of oral meds and if he makes his own medicine. Who knows what he gave your piggie.

I agree. I've never even heard of vets making their own medicine...

Okay I'm back with a list of directions from the vet. He wants me to give her Vitamin C orally once a day for 2 weeks. Then there's Baytril which he wants me to give her two shots of for a week... I've heard of giving it orally, but I'm not sure about shots.. Then there's Flunixin under the skin once a day for three days. Then for twice a day until her appetite is back to normal, metoclopramide. Last but not least critical care for her.

Last edited:
If it's in shot form, I don't think you can give it orally. I have no clue what Flunixin is, I asked the question on guinealynx. Is she not eating other than the CC?

I think Flunixin is supposed to do with something about her urinating. Recently, it's been really hot, so Spiffy has been drinking a lot more-therefore urinating a lot more. So I think that maybe I don't have to give her the Flunixin or maybe even the metoclopramide, cause I think that deals a little bit with the urine also. She's been eating a bit less now. She doesn't really touch her pellets anymore, but she eats a little of the fruits and veggies we give her.

The metoclopramide (Reglan) is for her digestive tract. I haven't gotten a response to my gl thread yet about the Flunixin.

Last edited:
Also I need to know if your pig is still eating her special poos?

Hooting is a sign of a heart condition often times. It sounds like you need a cavy savy vet.

There is a vet recommendation thread at www.guinealynx.info medical forums.

Me again, I just talked to a gl/pigloo.net member about the Flunixin and your pig's medical problems. It's a pain reliever. And not the best choice apparently. Meloxicam/Metacam would be much better. It doesn't have anything to do with her urine. The Flunixin can cause appetite loss.

The side effects are:
• The most common side effects include GI ulceration, especially of the stomach and large colon.
• Rare side effects include kidney damage, and bleeding disorders.
• Allergic reactions are rare but have been reported.

My piggie expert JodiMN has informed me that you need to have your vet do x-rays to check for teeth problems.

She also advises in addition to the CC, cut some veggies into slivers and shove into the molars to see if there is any chewing.

She also said hooting can be an indication of heart problems. Have your vet check the heart as well.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I don't think I'll be using the Flunxin after all. I will try the "molar test" and see if she chews it or not. If she's chewing that means it's okay, right? Or is it the other way around? Oops, almost skipped over the hooting part. The vet also listened to her breathing and said it sounded okay. Do you think I should trust his evaluation on that? Again, thanks for all your help.

No, when they are at the vet's office, a strange place, they will hide their symptoms. They are prey animals. Sometimes the fluid in the lungs are so bad, you can only see them on x-rays, not by listening only.

What area are you in? Maybe someone can recommend a vet. There is a vet thread at GL.

Are you weighing your pig? You really need to do so.

We're planning to take her back to the vet soon for x-rays if the medicine doesn't help.

We're about a few hours away from San Francisco and I got my vet from here (broken link removed). It's the one at the very bottom.

As for the weighing part, we're still trying to find something to weigh her with. Is it by grams?

From Jodi-If the pig can chew they will, if they can't they would "spit" out the food - more like push it out with the tongue. She says make sure they do x-rays on the head and chest.

If the pig can't chew, it's an indication of teeth problems and the pig may be in pain. You may want to give the Flunixin if the pig is hurting, but have the vet switch pain meds to a non-steroid pain med.

If I were you, I would find a good cavy savvy vet and get her in asap. It's not good to keep putting off health problems as cavies can go down hill rather quickly especially if she's having problems eating.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.