Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

A site that made me scream

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Piglets-Angel*

Cavy Slave
Hello, I found a site and it looks like this is a breeder, and I think this person is also showing her pigs in actual guinea pig shows, check it out: cavy.com
its horrible, it says right on the homepage " I mostly breed dalmation cavys "
something like that how horrible, I dont know how to make it so you just click it so ya have to type it in: cavy.com is it only me who finds this site horrible enough to scream??!

hm...the site doesn't work for me.

It doesn't make me scream. It looks like a pretty reputable breeder. She isn't selling them over the interent and isn't breeding mixes. I don't know, but I know, just like dogs, that not all breeders are bad, some are reputable.

It could be different. She could be breeding left and right for 4-H shows and have 10 or 20 listed for sale on the site and ship worldwide.

She's adding to the guinea pig pupulation intentionally shes bad.

But she's not a mass breeder. Like I said, she could be worse. From what I see on her website I believe she is reputable. I have nothing wrong with reputable guinea pig breeders, just like I have nothing wrong with reputable dog breeders.

If reputable breeders didn't exist, all we would have is inbred, unhealthy animals, that didn't live to their average life expectancy.

She's breeding Dal x Dal. This results in lethal babies.

slap_maxwell said:
No where on her website does it say she is breeding Dal x Dal. It just says she breeds Dalmatians. To get Dalmatians I believe you breed a Dalmatian to a solid?

https://cavyspirit.com/responsiblebreeder.htm

Here is a link describing a responsible breeder. Yes, it is necessary to improve the quality of the animals. This assures that fewer pigs suffer from congenital disease and more pigs are able to live normal healthy lives in loving homes.

Breeding may not be ideal, and certainly "back yard breeders" or those who breed as a "hobby" need to be educated. But it is so important to choose your battles.

On occasion, I have seen the very passion and love that members here have for their pets turn into a negative. Attacking a person, or delivering an blanket statement may in fact drive someone away who was trying to learn. What is more important? To yell at someone who purchased from a pet store? Or assure through trust building and solid advice that the pig has a great life from here on out.

Don't support practices you don't agree with. But, speak gently to anyone asking for advice, because they at least came here to learn.

Sorry about the long post, but I'm glad to have a place to put it without singling out a particular person. I have been shocked at times at the sheer attitude of some people, both those asking questions and those answering! Please, be kind. Once someone leaves this forum, you have lost any chance to influence a better life for those guinea pigs.

DITTO!!^^ I agree with you totally Ketus15

slap_maxwell said:
With Dal x Dal theres a %20 chance of a lethal and %80 of a Roan or something like that she probably wouldn't breed Roans since they can come out fully white but yet I still don't think there should be any commercial breeders like her.

GuineaPigz said:
That does NOT make her bad. If she is doing the right thing by her animals then it's not wrong. If we only adopt from rescues (and we should whenever possible) and EVERYONE stops the breeding completely (and by that I mean responsible breeding...) then domesticated guinea pigs cease to exist.

I DO NOT agree with mills and mass production of guinea pigs. But responsible breeding is different.

I have heard of guinea pig shows, but have never witnessed one. How bad can a show be? Dogs are shown all the time and it isn't cruel...

There is always a gray area, never completely black and white. Zero tolerance is a bad idea.

Woohoo! Tolerance and caring for everyone! And who says the internet can't make the world better... One piggy at a time.

cavylover_76 said:
That does NOT make her bad. If she is doing the right thing by her animals then it's not wrong. If we only adopt from rescues (and we should whenever possible) and EVERYONE stops the breeding completely (and by that I mean responsible breeding...) then domesticated guinea pigs cease to exist.

I DO NOT agree with mills and mass production of guinea pigs. But responsible breeding is different.

I have heard of guinea pig shows, but have never witnessed one. How bad can a show be? Dogs are shown all the time and it isn't cruel...

There is always a gray area, never completely black and white. Zero tolerance is a bad idea.
Guinea pig shows are terrible. All the guinea pigs are kept in one room in tiny cages. It is very high stress and pigs can easily catch diseases. People think dogs and guinea pigs are completely different. THey think dogs are these noble creatures and should get all the food and space they want, but guinea pigs deserve tiny cubicles and be stuck with hundreds of other ones.

Many times the pigs are sedated and/or deprived of water and food before the show. Its counts against the pig if it poops or pees while the judge is looking at it.

Well, that makes sense to be upset about!!!

Like I said, I have never seen a guinea pig show. How can you expect a gp NOT to poop!
THEY ARE POOP FACTORIES FOR GOODNESS SAKES!!!

I'll have to remember to NOT go to one of those.

tashagurl said:
Many times the pigs are sedated and/or deprived of water and food before the show. Its counts against the pig if it poops or pees while the judge is looking at it.
I've been to many shows, and this isn't true.

With Dal x Dal theres a %20 chance of a lethal and %80 of a Roan or something like that she probably wouldn't breed Roans since they can come out fully white but yet I still don't think there should be any commercial breeders like her.
Please tell me why you think she is breeding Dal x Dal and she is a commercial breeder? Where on her site does it say she is commercial? She has a website for her cavies, but she does not sell them over the internet. Her site makes her look reputable. I would rather see reputable breeders than BYB and mills.

Sorry to bring up an old post (well not that old, but old enough!). Just came across it today. Sorry that it may be a bit long.

I tried to view the website, but was unsuccessful, so am just going by what I have read in all your replies.

GuineaPigz said:
Dalmation x dalmation breeding results in statistically 25% micros, 50% dallies and 25% no dallies (so whatever colour dally it is, ie self blacks for black dallies).

Of course, these are only statistics - you could get ALL micros, or none at all.

Breeding dalmation x non dalmation (ie self black) will result in 50% of each (of course you can get all of one, none of another).

Breeding roans is exactly the same statistics, so I dont understand what you said by "she probably wouldn't breed Roans since they can come out fully white"??

tashagurl said:
I have read up alot on showing cavies, and I am yet to EVER read that it is a problem if a cavy poops or pees while a judge is looking at it. These are not animals which can easily be toilet trained, and being so there is no viable reason why they should be penalised for doing so.

I have never heard of the cavies being sedated either. The cavies generally SIT still due to excessive handling, not due to being sedated. I know my guys I could leave them on a table all day and they probably wouldnt move from where I placed them.

Cavies at shows around here are free to have access to water and food ALL day (with the exception for the few minutes while actually being handled by a judge).

GuineaPigz said:
.....pigs can easily catch diseases.
Here in Australia the cavies are generally checked over for diseases (of course you can never 100% screen for these). Exhibitors are generally up to date with information of any of the things that *may* be going around (ie fungal) and these cavies are NOT brought to shows - apart from being instant disqualifications, it is also not a good way to represent one's stud and would be very detrimental to any reputation for bring unwell cavies to a show.

Just generally in regards to breeders - I realize that some breeder haphazardly breed or breed for weird characteristics, or are callous and breed animals beyond their tolerances... (After all, look at how much better life is for human women since have been able to NOT have babies at the wrong times).

But just adding to the population? Why in heavens not? Generally, one should not overbreed the demand, but if NO one breeds, EVER, will we not completely run out of guinea pigs in 10-12 years?

New piggers have to come from somewhere! So, you just can condemn breeders completely.

But showing seems pretty dumb and not much fun for the pig.

Fawn

fawnmarie said:
Generally, one should not overbreed the demand, but if NO one breeds, EVER, will we not completely run out of guinea pigs in 10-12 years?
New piggers have to come from somewhere!
Fawn
I think the guinea pig situation is sort of like the house cat situation. It will take so long to clean up the overpopulation problem that breeding could stop for a very long time before the domestic population becomes endangered. Also, typically the less breeding, the better. Think of dogs here. The less popular breeds, such as Borzoi or Otterhound, tend to have fewer congenital and temperment problems. But very popular breeds, such as dalmations, have been bred beyond responsible terms and are full of genetic issues. Blindness, deafness, hip dysplexia, etc...

Ultimately, at this point in time, there are enough accidental pregnancies and homeless guinea pigs that I think we can be safe without breeding.

Hmm..can someone close this thread or move it to the kithchen?

Status
Not open for further replies.