Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

A rescue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiffy'n'Spunky

Cavy Slave
wow, I did'nt expect such diverse responses. To anybody who may have misunderstood I simply posed the question, "Is what I did a rescue" I did not ask to be critized because as an 11 year old girl I took the "easy and lazy way out". I also can't seem to stress enough that I helped to put that place out of business for good! All of those animals were given treatment at the owners expense, and placed in a nice shelter! This happend because I took my sick pig, purchased from this shop to the humane society and showed them via pictures and my pig the abuse the animals were suffering. That seemed to be enough for an investigation and shut down of the shop, amazingly fast too. Mind you I was only 11 when this happend. Sure I didn't post a protest or picket outside the place but I did what I knew was right and got the place shut down a.s.a.p. I believe what I did was indeed a rescue, not only to my late Lilly-piggie, but to other animals in that place as well.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Does anybody consider, humane societies/rescue centers aside, going into pet shop and getting a piggie solely to give them a better life a rescue?

Spiff'n'Spunky, you very explicitly asked a rhetorical question. Yes, you stated WHY you were asking, but you very specifically asked a general question. THAT is what this thread is all about. It's not about you and your specific situation. If you had wanted an answer to your specific situation, then you should have said something like, "Under these circumstances, blah, blah, blah, is what I did considered a rescue?" That is a VERY different question from the one you asked. The answer to the question that you didn't ask was, Yes. In the case where you, in fact, get the store to STOP selling guinea pigs--period--it is very much a rescue. That is the ONLY case where I consider getting pigs from a pet store a rescue--when you successfully manage to get the store to stop selling them OR you are taking the VERY LAST of their stock and they are closing or they will no longer be selling guinea pigs.

The "easy and lazy way out" was NOT directed to your specific circumstances, but to your rhetorical question as discussed in this thread.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Cavie Cove said:
Yes that is the only problem we can't say that animals don't get put to sleep if they have been in a shelter for x amount of time. Maybe it does happen but we just don't hear about it? You can not say for sure what goes on.

Sorry to dredge this bit up.

Yes, it does happen. Many animals are considered not "rehomeable" due to behaviour problems/illness/age and, as such, would be a bit of a liability for the large UK rescue organisations to rehome. So yes, they are euthanised to make way for others.

Hansel

Cavy Slave
Daft is correct here about having kill shelters and it is very sad. This is even more reason to adopt. By buying a pet from the store you are in essance dooming a shelter animal to a forced death because you didnt have enough time to rescue or the pig at the store was cuter...these are all excuses. If you truely want to better the overflow of unwanted and mistreated pets you will adopt/rescue (at a shelter not a petstore) EVERY time. Hopefully by adopting, you are making a new spot at the rescue for another piggy to be rehabilitated and rehomed, not a new spot at the petstore for more miserable pigs to come in.

Cavie Cove

Cavy Slave
daftscotslass said:
Sorry to dredge this bit up.

Yes, it does happen. Many animals are considered not "rehomeable" due to behaviour problems/illness/age and, as such, would be a bit of a liability for the large UK rescue organisations to rehome. So yes, they are euthanised to make way for others.
Thankyou for clearing that one up daft. I wasn't sure if we had them or not as we never heard about them but I did have at the back of mymind that it probably does happen.

Katie

Cavy Slave
Krysanthemum said:
Sure, I have no argument with that. Pet stores are making a profit from the breeding and selling of guinea pigs. But what you are describing is 1 guinea pig sold = 1 guinea pig restocked (with probably a slightly higher rate during school holidays, as you said). That is not the same as saying 1 guinea pig sold = 2 or 3 more guinea pigs restocked, which was my argument. If that were the case, pet stores would be greatly increasing their stock of guinea pigs with every sale.

For example, hypothetically, you go to a pet store and see four guinea pigs in a pen. Does that mean that that pet store has only ever sold 2 guinea pigs during its entire time in business (2 sold = 4 restocked)? Of course not. While it is probably true to say that if a pet store is successful in selling guinea pigs it will increase its holding, I think it is overly simplistic to assert that they are increasing their herds at a rate of 2 or 3 per single sale.
You do not understand. If they sell one, they have to replace the one on the floor, plus the one that they take out of the backroom. When they order more, they order anywhere from 5-20 at a time (depending on the size, average sales, and popularity of the store) because it's more cost efficient. So yes, when they sell one, 2, 3, 4, or more will take it's place.

craig51

Cavy Slave
Katie said:
You do not understand. If they sell one, they have to replace the one on the floor, plus the one that they take out of the backroom. When they order more, they order anywhere from 5-20 at a time (depending on the size, average sales, and popularity of the store) because it's more cost efficient. So yes, when they sell one, 2, 3, 4, or more will take it's place.

Is this thread still going on!!! I think you will find she does understand, its you who does not understand her point!

People on this site reguarly, as well as the mods/admin, make blanket statements such as "all breeders are bad", "all pet stores a terrible places" This is not true according to this site. "all breeders are bad", by their(this site) own admission, there is such a thing as a responsible breeder. "all pet stores are terrible places", again, on this site written by the content owner somehow trys to state that a petshop is ok because one of her friends happens to work with the animals, and as such, is decribed as good. I'm afraid you cant have it both ways.

Either you are against breeders, in which case remove all references from your site that states otherwise, and you are agaisnt pet shops that sell pets, again, remove from the site the part that states the one good one(that just so happens to have a friend work there).

As stated, I have receive a lot of abuse for merely pointing out that the removal of an animal from danger is a rescue. Luckily, it takes a lot more than "fanaticals" to change my mind, however the genereal public will turn away and ignore you,and in turn, condem more animals to death.

You could argue, and here goes a statement that wont go down well, that rescuing animals from breeders is also helping more animals to die. How? Simply put, the breeder is left with a lot of Gp's he no longer wants, but he knows someone will take them off his hands, just for him to start it all over again. If the breeder actually had to do the dirty work him/herself eg kill them or find a home, I bet a lot more would stop it!

Last edited:

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
SpiffyandSpunky--WOW is all I have to say :) You got the action going around here, and really got myself (and I am sure many others thinking). I personnally think what you did was rescue a guinea pig from a bad situation. I think purchasing the animal may not have been the best thing to do because it is profit for the pet store, but on the other hand your action of taking the poor animal to the Humane Society and them actually seeing the animal, sitting in front of them, they were unable to put the case on the "backburner". I do think seeing pictures, and actually seeing the neglet second hand, such as a picture is a very different thing from having the animal sitting in front of you. I think as a young child that was great you made a difference in so many animal's lives in a short amount of time and got them out of the situation very quickly. As a result of that, really the $20 you spent to "purchase" the pig was lost as the owner had to pay for ALL vet care and probably charges pressed against him in the justice system. I think that ultimately that is the point that Craig51 is trying to make. Not all rescues are the same, and not all people view a rescue the same. The real important picture that needs to be seen is ALL the animals were taken out of a bad situation and the $20 spent did not replace the 1 guinea pig with 2 more, the place got shut down and the owner out of business.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
You could argue, and here goes a statement that wont go down well, that rescuing animals from breeders is also helping more animals to die. How? Simply put, the breeder is left with a lot of Gp's he no longer wants, but he knows someone will take them off his hands, just for him to start it all over again. If the breeder actually had to do the dirty work him/herself eg kill them or find a home, I bet a lot more would stop it!

When one does a proper breeder bust, they usually attempt to have the person charged with animal cruelty. When that happens, part of thier sentance is usually that they can no longer keep animals in thier home.

And yes this thread is still going on, but there are also a few side conversations, such as the answer to the question: Are there kill shelters in the UK.

craig51

Cavy Slave
Are there kill shelters in the UK.

Thats been answered!

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I am nost asking that, I am explaining why the conversation was still going on. I was listing the question, not asking it.

Side conversation tend to keep a thread going, even if the original question is answered. In the quest for knowledge, other questions pop up.

craig51

Cavy Slave
Sabriel said:
I am nost asking that, I am explaining why the conversation was still going on. I was listing the question, not asking it.

Did I ever say you were asking that?

Side conversation tend to keep a thread going, even if the original question is answered. In the quest for knowledge, other questions pop up.
When I finished my sentence with exclaimation marks, that usually tells the reader that I am surprised, not, as the way you proablly read it, Why is this thread still ongoing.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
craig51 said:
Why is this thread still ongoing.
Because people are still replying to it.

Not everyone was sitting at their computer while it was going on live but they have something to contribute.

craig51

Cavy Slave
VoodooJoint said:
Because people are still replying to it.

Not everyone was sitting at their computer while it was going on live but they have something to contribute.

Do you bother to read FULL posts, or just the bits you want.

I quote myself "When I finished my sentence with exclaimation marks, that usually tells the reader that I am surprised, not, as the way you proablly read it, Why is this thread still ongoing."

You comment, voodoowhatever, isnt required, only there to intice some sort of petty argument. My advice to you, read every post fully and carefully.Mind you, looking at the structure and quality of your previuos posts on this thread, and reading other people's opinion on them, I am not surprised.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
No offence Craig51, but you really don't seem all that well at getting your point across. You seem to feel very misunderstood. I thought it was just me at first, but now you are having issues with VJ too. For someone who is so quick to use a dictionary, you really don't have a great grasp of the language.

Re-read your posts and try to see them as an outsider would. I tend to re-read my posts a lot to make sure an outsider looking in will get what I'm trying to say.

craig51

Cavy Slave
[quote=Sabriel]No offence Craig51, but you really don't seem all that well at getting your point across.

Well I better quit my job then, seeing as thats what I do.

You seem to feel very misunderstood.

Not at all
I thought it was just me at first, but now you are having issues with VJ too.
If you look at the posts typed my her/him, is it any wonder I have no time for him/her.
For someone who is so quick to use a dictionary, you really don't have a great grasp of the language.

Again, I doubt that, but you are intitled to your views. And actually, the dictionary was used to 'back up' my side of the arguement. I like to be able to provide proof, not just spout of any sort of nonsense.

Re-read your posts and try to see them as an outsider would. I tend to re-read my posts a lot to make sure an outsider looking in will get what I'm trying to say.

I think everyone here knows exactly what I am saying, or there wouldnt be a debate.

Again, another post with no actual positive input, I would hate to be an outsider reading this thread. They would run a mile.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Well, excuse me for caring then. You do seem misunderstood. You keep claiming that no one is getting your point do you not?

Your post to VJ, or "voodoowhatever" as you call her, wasn't very nice either.

Your posts are hard to read. You don't format them well, nor do you use tags well. I hope your job doesn't include use of a computer.

craig51

Cavy Slave
Sabriel said:
Well, excuse me for caring then
Sabriel said:

Caring about what?

You do seem misunderstood. You keep claiming that no one is getting your point do you not?

Show me

Your post to VJ, or "voodoowhatever" as you call her, wasn't very nice either.

I know, hence why I wrote it.

Your posts are hard to read. You don't format them well, nor do you use tags well.

Whats a tag?

I hope your job doesn't include use of a computer

Yes it does, why? Are you scared I might break it?

Hansel

Cavy Slave
Life is not made to live by the dictionary definition of every word. If it was there would be a ton of anal rententive people correcting everyone. A definition may clarify something in regards to a meaning but this thread takes it farther than just a written definition. Its a moral battle what is right vs what is wrong. You KNOW our views here, they are clearly stated, and for those of us who truely live by that nothing you say will change our minds. Its like changing someones opinion who is against abortions...you are not likely to change them to pro choice regardless of what definiton from the dictionary you quote. People here live by experiance not the dictionary!

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
Does anyone not relieze what the thread started off as . . .someone just wanted to know if she rescued. Now I think she understands there are many different ways to view what a "rescue" really is. I think this thread is becoming imature and ruthless. We all need to remember that we are on this forum for the well-being of the animals. For whatever reason, I do believe everyone on here has the animals best interest at heart. I think this is just one of those times we all need to learn to agree to disagree on the "term" rescue.

Status
Not open for further replies.