Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

A rescue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiffy'n'Spunky

Cavy Slave
Does anybody consider, humane societies/rescue centers aside, going into pet shop and getting a piggie solely to give them a better life a rescue?

Why I Ask: For my very first piggie ( a few years ago) we had no piggies in our town (waited for two months on the humane center, nada) So my mom took me to the closest place with guinea pigs, a town called Bulhead, to a place called the "pet palace" HA! I walked in this small, tiny, itty-bitty house turned to pet shop and was imediately appalled. Cages of animal stacked up all over, dirty of coarse, and they were smoking in there! Around all the animals!!!!! They had one piggie, white, I took her just to get her out of there!! She ended up having a seizure six months later, and dying. (I ended up calling the humane society and they helped me out in shutting that sick place down :cheerful: ) Would that be considered a rescue?

craig51

Cavy Slave
res·cue ([FONT=verdana, sans-serif] P [/FONT]) Pronunciation Key (r
ebreve.gif
s
prime.gif
ky
oomacr.gif
)
tr.v. res·cued, res·cu·ing, res·cues
  1. To set free, as from danger or imprisonment; save. See Synonyms at save[SIZE=-1]1[/SIZE].
  2. Law. To take from legal custody by force. n.
  3. An act of rescuing; a deliverance.
  4. Law. Removal from legal custody by force
So yes, the act you carried out would be defined as a rescue, however you could argue the original 'intent' was not to rescue but satisfy self need,as in, not wanting to wait for a shelter pig to become available.However, as previously stated, the end act was a rescue,so good for you.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Did you pay for her? If so then no, you didn't rescue her.

craig51

Cavy Slave
daftscotslass said:
Did you pay for her? If so then no, you didn't rescue her.

I disagree, the SSPCA charged £5 each for the Guinea pigs from their shelter, and also charge for dogs,cats etc, therefore even if there is a monetary exchange,no matter how much, the act of removing an animal from danger or imprisionment is still a resuce.

Spiffy'n'Spunky

Cavy Slave
Of corse I paid for her, how else could I get her out of there asap?

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
craig51 said:
I disagree, the SSPCA charged £5 each for the Guinea pigs from their shelter, and also charge for dogs,cats etc, therefore even if there is a monetary exchange,no matter how much, the act of removing an animal from danger or imprisionment is still a resuce.

I was talking about the pet shop, not the SSPCA. The money to the SSPCA goes towards running costs for the centre and organisation.

If you pay for an animal in a pet shop you are paying for the pet shop to stay open and hence adding to the problem.

craig51

Cavy Slave
daftscotslass said:
I was talking about the pet shop, not the SSPCA. The money to the SSPCA goes towards running costs for the centre and organisation.

If you pay for an animal in a pet shop you are paying for the pet shop to stay open and hence adding to the problem.

Thats not the argument here, the orignal question was " A rescue?"

Technically, it was a resuce, yes it may make the problem worse from rescueing from a pet shop, and another pig will replace it to be rescued, but the fact is, it is a rescue!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
As defined in the dictionary, buying an animal from a petstore could be considered rescuing them, but in the view of most of the people who run rescues, it would not.

When you bought that guinea pig from the petstore, it opened up a spot for them to fill with 2, 3 or more baby pigs that they would have bought from a breeder or pet mill of some sort or possibly bred themselves in the back of the store. So, no I dont consider that rescuing. Saving that one pig, definitely, even for the short time you had him, but in the big picture, when you buy an animal in a pet store, all you end up doing is contributing to the general animal overpopulation.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
craig51 said:
Thats not the argument here, the orignal question was " A rescue?"

Technically, it was a resuce, yes it may make the problem worse from rescueing from a pet shop, and another pig will replace it to be rescued, but the fact is, it is a rescue!

Yes, get the dictionary out (I notice you found dictionary.com) and that suits the definition of a rescue. However, my definition is that if the money you use to "buy" a rescue is used to support downright abuse as mentioned above, it's not a rescue. Not in my book, anyway.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
When you buy something from a petshop you are a customer NOT a rescuer.

By giving the store money you are rewarding their abuse, neglact and actions in general. You are feeding them exactly what they want, Money. In return they will spend some of that money to replenish their stock as they see your purchase as a demand for that product.

Sorry, no matter how good your intentions were you only added to the problem.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Yes, there are other ways to help that pig rather than plunking down momey and buying him or her. Calling Animal Control, complaining to the manager/owner, trying to educate them, making noise with the customers, writing a letter to local media, documenting conditions, etc. You just bought a pig, rewarded the store for their poor conditions and gave the pet mill/breeder more business.

craig51

Cavy Slave
Good, so we are agreed that technically it was a rescue,so the question has been answered.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
craig51 said:
Good, so we are agreed that technically it was a rescue,so the question has been answered.
I do not agree so don't count me into that "we".

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
craig51 said:

I agree that it fitted the dictionary definition of rescue.

I do not believe that it was a rescue.

I await, with baited breath, for you to justify "right" and "wrong" with the same style of argument.

craig51

Cavy Slave
VoodooJoint said:
When you buy something from a petshop you are a customer NOT a rescuer.

Technically, as already stated, it is a rescue. Read any dictionary you want, you are removing an object, in this case an animal, from danger, therefore counts as a rescue. Just by buying something doesnt mean its not a rescue. I had to buy two guinea pigs from the SSPCA, is that a rescue? Technically no, its not, as they were not in danger. You could argue that they were imprisioned at the shelter, in which case we are all guilty of that.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
craig51 said:
Technically, as already stated, it is a rescue. Read any dictionary you want, you are removing an object, in this case an animal, from danger, therefore counts as a rescue. Just by buying something doesnt mean its not a rescue. I had to buy two guinea pigs from the SSPCA, is that a rescue? Technically no, its not, as they were not in danger. You could argue that they were imprisioned at the shelter, in which case we are all guilty of that.

You were not rescuing from the SSPCA you were adopting or rehoming.

If only everything on the planet could be defined on a technicality.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
I don't agree so don't include me in the "we" either. You can't be a consumer and a rescuer at the same time.

The discussion doesn't necessarily end because you pompously assert that the "question have been answered." I think you'll find that a great number of people *disagree* with your assertion that purchasing a guinea pig from a pet store is the same as rescuing it.

craig51

Cavy Slave
Exactly, I was rehoming, not rescuing.

What the poster did was a rescue. The focus here seems to be directed towards the after effect, which I am sure there has been numerous threads before.

However, most people would count that rehoming from a shelter is a rescue, well its not. And yes, when answering a question I want to use fact, not let my emotions skew the fact. So yes, it may be a technicality, buts its fact. If you want to start a new thread " Is buying from a petstore contributing towards animal suffering" I will be more than happy to reply.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
craig51 said:
Technically, as already stated, it is a rescue. Read any dictionary you want, you are removing an object, in this case an animal, from danger, therefore counts as a rescue. Just by buying something doesnt mean its not a rescue.
Yes, I understand the definition of "rescue". It, like many other definitions is open to interpretation.

I do not see buying an animal from a pet shop as rescuing. By that definition ANY animal, even one kept well and healthy, which is bought can be construed as a rescue. After all they are being held in imprisonment.

By that logic any moron that takes my Guinea pigs and sets them free in the wild is also rescuing them as they are freeing them from imprisonment. In turn I can catch and rescue my Guinea Pigs back from the wild and recage them because I am rescuing them from danger.

Sorry, I'm not biting on the twisted logic that makes people feel better about themselves when they justify it as a "rescue" when they buy from a pet shop.

The proper way to have dealt with that pet store would have been to walk out without buying anything, immediately set the wheels in motion to shut them down (not wait 6 months later), and THEN, when the animals are seized by animal control to get one of the animals.

It was all done backwards. It was not a true rescue. Not by the definition used by reputable animal rescuers.

craig51

Cavy Slave
I don't agree so don't include me in the "we" either. You can't be a consumer and a rescuer at the same time.

Actually, at the time of that post, you were not invloved in this debate, so "we" was not implied to you.

The discussion doesn't necessarily end because you pompously assert that the "question have been answered." I think you'll find that a great number of people *disagree* with your assertion that purchasing a guinea pig from a pet store is the same as rescuing it.

Now you are asserting. At no time did I say that you must purchase. I said quite cleary that the act of REMOVING an animal from danger is a rescue. Money has nothing to do with this arguement.

And I also dont like being accused of being "pompous" I never personally attacked you or anyone else. If you dont agree with the definition of rescue, please contact the people who agree the said defintion, and ask them to correct it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.