Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

A rather bonkers idea...

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
Ok. So. My other half and I have decided that expanding our family with piggies recently is the perfect reason to start looking for a bigger apartment to live in. However it is very unlikely that we're going to be able to get a garden because of the area we live in and the budget we'll be on. But we really want to be able to offer the girls grazing space.

Sooo... We're thinking about building an indoor piggy patch for them.

I used to work in a nursery and we had plots that we lined with tarpaulin, then planted grass and bulbs in so the kids could dig and explore in them. And I thought that popping one of these indoors with lots of grass and other edible plants planted in it would be great for urban cavies to scurry about in.

This is the size we'd be looking at (they're actually the exact ones we had at my nursery)

Buy Plum Giant Outdoor Play Sand Pit at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Sand pits and sand.

I was just wondering what people thought of the idea.. Has anyone ever done this? Would it work? Is it safe?

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
That's a cute idea. I was thinking about making a shallow coroplast pan and planting grass in it for my piggies on my porch. I'm just not sure how committed I am to that idea. lol

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I think it's an awesome idea, I just wonder how much of a mess it may make. You could also just have an indoor garden with veggies growing to feed them but not necessarily for them to graze/play in if it gets unmanageable or too messy.

Mishkapop

Cavy Slave
I might make a lightweight one out of coroplast first actually and see how they get on. The sides of the sandpit are nice and high and I'd add an mdf bottom myself so in theory it hopefully shouldn't make much mess... >.>

KD006

Cavy Slave
why not just use one of the hard plastic kids wadeing pools they are about same size 1+m across, waterproof so you would not have water seeping on the floor.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
The problem with growing plants on dirt in an area that large in the house is that it will take lots of water, and could become very heavy. What's the flooring like? There would be condensation underneath the planter, between the planter and the floor, which could start rot. There would also be a lot of humidity in the house, which can cause mold and mildew to grow. You would need adequate ventilation.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.