Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay A Quick Question

Izzy Arnold

Cavy Slave
So I have three girls. Rogue and Jubilee are four months old and Beast is one month old. I have been giving them a timothy based pellet and unlimited alfalfa hay.

When my two older pigs hit six months old, the baby is only going to be three months old. What do I do about the hay? Should I mix the hay so it is half alfalfa and half timothy? Or should I keep the alfalfa until Beast is six months old?

Personally I never fed my pigs alfalfa hay, and I got them at 5ish weeks. So I would say just feed them all timothy hay once they're six months old. They'll still grow fine and be healthy, my pigs are huge! haha

You've got it backwards. They need unlimited grass hay, and alfalfa is a legume, not grass. Grass hays are timothy, orchard grass, blue grass and brome. They need 1/8 to 1/4 cup of pellets per pig per day, no more, and those pellets should be alfalfa until they're about six months old. That will give them enough calcium, and plenty of the long strand hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.