Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions A question on red eye guinea pig

nousername

Cavy Slave
I understand guinea pigs do not have good vision. But they have strong smelling and hearing? What about red eyed piggies? One of my guinea pig is blonde and white and he has red eyes. I have this feeling that he is very confused for my presence. Usually albinos do have weak vision. To my point of view, I think red eye piggy's vision is like 0-1=-1 when compare to dark eyed piggy.

When I hold treats from a distance, black eyed pig would run to me, but not the red eyed. I have to hold the treat much closer to get his attention. He loves treats, so it is not the problem of he doesn't like it. He just couldn't see it? and have to use smelling in a close distance?

pinky

Cavy Slave
I've had red eyed pigs and haven't noticed any vision problems. Red eyes are just the result of a lack of pigment.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Agreed. Red eyes have no different vision than dark eyed pigs.

It's possible your pig has vision problems, but it's not because of eye color.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Is it possible that your guinea pig is a lethal? They can be blind, deaf and have serious dental issues.

Roo99

Cavy Slave
I have one red eyed pig and one dark eyed pig, and they both see equally well. If you were worried about vision problems, you could do some research on Guinea Lynx and go see your vet for an exam.

How old is the red eyed pig? I would assume that guinea pigs, like most other animals, have a weakened sense of sight as they stroll into older age.

Also, I have read that guinea pigs lack the gene for albinism, but I do not know if this is true. So, like a previous poster said, a lethal guinea pig would most likely have problems with its vision.

Last edited:

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
She says the guinea pig is blonde and white. If it has any color at all it is not a lethal.

Eimear

Cavy Slave
It could be that your red eyed pig is partially sighted, or is the black eyed pig just more comfortable with you than the red eyed? and more inclined to approach you? as this is the case with my pair.