Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pet Stores A long old week

caddy21

Cavy Slave
I thought I would share my experience that I have had this last week with a pet store chain here in the UK. A lot of people are under the impression that animals are well looked after in the UK, sadly this couldn't be further from the truth.

I don't usually buy from shops that sell live stock. Since adopting my two sows along with my new dog I am very pro rescue. For the purpose of my story we shall call the chain of stores 'Pets in house' ;) .

Last week I went into a Pet's in house store and behind there live stock (hate that term) section they had an 'adoption' section. So I decided to take a look. Curled up in the corner of a glass box (face palm) was this scared little pig. His note next to the cage said 'my name is Rex. I am ex stock and now too old to be sold. I am looking for someone to take me home'. I watched him for a few minutes and noticed that he had an issue with his back leg.

He seemed in some discomfort so I flagged this up with a staff member. This store has it's own vet section and she told me that there was nothing wrong with him. After a long chat I walked out because there was no convincing this lady. I couldn't sleep at the thought of this little fella so the next day I contacted head office. I quickly recieved a reply saying that they have flagged this up with the area manager and they will call me to discuss my issues. This was last Friday and still no phone call received.

Later on Friday night my gf was so sick of me going on about this pig that she asked me to take her to 'Pet's in house' to have a look for her self.

She is very shy and what she saw must have really bothered her because she asked a staff member if she could have some more details about adopting this pig. At this point we were told that he was talk of the shop (we assume because of my complaint) and that we could take him away that day. At this point they still don't know that It was me who complained as this discussion of adoption has taken place in my gf's name.

My gf mentioned that she noticed that Rex had a bad leg. The store member agreed and said that he had seen a vet that morning and was given the all clear. She then asked that if we were to take him to our own vet and it turned out there was an issue would they foot the bill? The response sadly was no.

Reading between the lines it appears the 'Pet's in house' use this 'adoption' center to get rid of sick animals. If they were to sell them they would be liable against the sales of goods act, however as it is adoption you sign away all those rights.

We spoke to a manager and it was agreed that Rex would go to a different vets (in store) for a second opinion and we were to call back in the evening to collect him. I phoned the store the next day to be told he did have a problem and that he was recieving medication. As a result could not be adopted out.

His medication finishes on Thursday but we are concerned that in the mean time he either gets adopted out or worse still taken out back to be put to sleep.

On Saturday I rushed out to buy a new cage to home him in which is now sitting empty.

If he comes to us he will need to be neutered so that he can live with my two girls.

As you can see it's been an eventful week and I am hopeful it will end with a happy ending!

Good luck. I hope all goes well, and you can help this little one.

Just more proof of how pet stores sees animals merely as "stock" and "damaged stock" like any other merchandise. Good for you for escalating the matter, and I hope it works out that you can take him. Even though he's coming from a pet store, at least it's not lining their pockets and you forced them to get vet care for the poor little guy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.