Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior A litter box for my guinea pigs?

IlovemyRhino

Cavy Slave
The store bought litter boxes are too big and too much money. so if I got like a plastic bowl (Cool-whip bowl) and cut a whole in the side so they can walk in and out of it with shredded paper in it do you think they'd use it? If I do that should I use something different than shredded paper? I realized when I put a plate in the cage with veggies on it they pee and poop on it A LOT so maybe if I try a litter box they'll use it? Also should I use something different than a cool-whip container?

I've seen one of those rectangular trays people use for keeping papers in the office. It's a tray with a cut out on one side. Not sure what it's called but anything that can keep litter in and has an easy in and out passage way for piggies. You could use paper pellets as litter and bribe them to use it as their toilet by putting hay in it. Putting something on top to create a shaded area on the litter tray also works. Pigs love to poo and pee where they feel most safe.

i think guinea pigs are quite hard to train them to use a litter box. However maybe try putting the litter box you have, where you think they go the toilet the most.

Cool-whip bowls are way too small for a litter pan, Go to a dollar store and get pans that are big enough for their whole bodies to get in.

I use a shallow plastic storage container and they jump right in and out.

If you use anything too small they will use it as a bed and litter box, and will be sleeping in their feces and urine instead, which we obviously wouldnt want.
You want to have a litter area big enough to fit a hayrack, as guinea pigs do alot of their business while eating their hay. I use a normal sized cat litter pan, and have bricks that make steps into it, they have no problems with it.
You can also make your own from coroplast, I've done it before. And the benefit here is you have control over how high the sides are to reduce bedding and hay flying out.

Could you make a box out of coroplast and fill it with bedding? I saw it in a picture...I'm confused about this still myself!

You can make a litter box out of coroplast scraps. I use wood pellets in my litter boxes because they are much less likely to get tracked out onto the fleece. Carefresh and shavings are easily tracked around. Don't use shredded paper, it's not very absorbent.

I made one out of cardboard boxes haha. They need to be replaced often but it is nice because I can just throw it out rather than clean it. Plus I have an endless supply, just use a waffle box or something.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.