Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Fleece A fleece question

peacheshershey

Cavy Slave
My pigs got fleece bedding yesterday. I only put it in part of the cage as an expeiment ;just to see what they would do. They seem to love it but they are folding over the corners of the blanket an chewing the towel.Is there any way to stop this?

I had the same question (I can't sew)

There's a few things you could do...

You can use binder clips (or something similar) to secure your fleece to the coroplast.

You can use bricks to hold down the corners. (Piggy safe :cheerful:)

Or you can tuck your fleece under the towels around the edges.

Sewing is very easy.

1) cut the thread and thread the needle
If you can't thread it, try wetting the end of the thread first or cutting it a bit.

If the eye of your needle is big enough, you can fold the end of the thread and then try to thread it from where it's folded.

2) tie a knot
Wrap the end (or ends) of the thread around your index finger two-three times. Then using your thumb, push the thread off your index finger, but make sure that the pads of your two fingers are rubbing against each other with the thread inbetween to tangle the threads together. When the thread is off your finger, using the pad of your fingers, pull the tangled part towards the end of the thread. And viola, a knot should be made.

Some people prefer to back stitch the thread a few times in the same spot to secure it to the fabric instead of tying a knot.

You can tie a knot just in one end of the thread, but that knot would be relatively small, and it's easy for the thread to slip out of the needle.

I prefer folding the thread in half and knoting the two ends together. This way, the needle stays in the loop of thread and there's a relatively larger knot. Plus, now you have two threads when sewing, which makes it relatively harder to break if you accidentally pull too hard. But, as implied, you'd be using twice as many thread, making twice as fast to use up the thread you've cut.

3) secure the thread in the fabric
As mentioned earlier, some people back snitch it in, meaning that you repeatedly stitch the same spot. Kind of like warping the thread around a small part of the fabric.

Others rely on the knot to keep the thread in place

I prefer doing both, as a fail safe.

4) start stitching
There are many patterns you can do. The website I typically use is (broken link removed). But if you don't understand the photos, you can try other websites.

5) finishing it up
Some people tie a knot to keep the thread in place. Similiarly to the earlier way of tying a knot, wrap the thread around the needle several times and pull it towards the eye of the needle. A knot should be formed.

I prefer back stitching it in place. But this method require more thread than knotting it, so make sure you have enough thread.

If you are running out of thread before your project is done, simply tie a knot or back stitch it in place. Cut remaining thread off. Then do the steps all over again. You don't have to keep using the same thread for the entire piece.

I hope this helps.lol It's easier to show then to explain, but I hope you guys would be able to understand it.

What can I put under fleece besides a towel

I have a new question. I'd better explain : I tried the fleece one week and didn't know everything about it so I went back to aspen , but now I know a lot more about fleece bedding and want to start using it as the wood shavings are EVERYWHERE and driving the whole family crazy! So I would like to know what can I use instead of a towel to put under the fleece and what in the world are uhaul pads ?:?:

Re: What can I put under fleece besides a towel

Uhaul pads are furniture pads made from recycled jean material that are sold at the Uhaul store.

U-Haul: Moving supplies: Furniture PadYou can buy them online or at a local store. They are very absorbent and can be washed repeatedly.

the fleece is the "polar" fleece?

Yes, the fleece is polar fleece. The trick with the fleece is to wash it and dry it at least 3 times in very hot water and high heat in the dryer to shrink it and remove the chemicals that make it water repellent. This transforms it to be able to wick away the moisture to the uhaul pads underneath. Using vinegar in the wash helps as well.

Just to add, do NOT use any fabric softener or dryer sheets when washing your fleece; those prevent the fleece from wicking the pee away.

Last edited:
Can you use newspaper under fleece? I am cleaning their cage in a few minutes and would like to know if is safe and works.

I'm keeping all my fleece related stuff on this thread.:)

Yes, you can use newspaper underneath the fleece, but it doesn't absorb the pee as well as the uhaul pads or towels.

Re: What can I put under fleece besides a towel

I have a new question. I'd better explain : I tried the fleece one week and didn't know everything about it so I went back to aspen , but now I know a lot more about fleece bedding and want to start using it as the wood shavings are EVERYWHERE and driving the whole family crazy! So I would like to know what can I use instead of a towel to put under the fleece and what in the world are uhaul pads ?:?:

You can put something like puppy training pads under neath, I use assurance under pads. You should try looking at the thread "the fleece project" it helped me a lot.

News paper can cause a mess.. Sticks to the fleece when wet :-/ [GuineaPigCages.com] A fleece question

My goodness what LUCKY piggies you have! I would like to start using fleece. I've only had my two boys for 48 hours and I've already swept 4 or 5 times. The aspen shavings seem to have wings. ;) I made my boys some fleece cozies before I picked them up, and they love them. I repurposed some old khaki trousers for the outside and noticed as I washed the first one today that the fleece was dry but the khaki material was soaked. I'll have to sew them if I use towels. They love to bite and chew at the strings and edges of the towels (based on a few sessions of floor time).

Thank you.. Yes.. Just a tad spoiled..lol I use fleece on all my costs I make them. Mine lay on top of them as well as in them and it wicks the pee better. :)[GuineaPigCages.com] A fleece question

Etit:all my *cozys* I make them.. Darn spell check!

Out of everyones experience, is it better to sew a towel to your fleece and lay extra towels underneath or leave everything loose (not sewn together)? I was planning on tucking the fleece round the coroplast too so the piggies couldn't burrow or anything.

Well I ended up cutting the fleece wrong.Ugggh! So I put regular shavings in there. I did cover bedroom half of the cage with part of the fleece. Hopefully I will get new fleece soon.

Well I ended up cutting the fleece wrong.Ugggh! So I put regular shavings in there. I did cover bedroom half of the cage with part of the fleece. Hopefully I will get new fleece soon.

You can sew it back together :)

I bought some new fleece I got pink and brown striped and turquoise I also bought some towels for a dollar each. I might getting plane pink (my grand mothers who's house i'm at until tomarrow wants the turquoise blanket and will trade me for pink) I got both fleece and towels from a new thrift store that donates all their money to a cat and dog shelter.I'm trying to figure out why I'm so excited about getting fleece.:crazy:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.