Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bathing A Few Questions

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Hello again,

So Phoenix's bum has been looking dirty lately, so I thought it would be a good idea to give her a bath for the first time since I got her (6 months I think). Everyone else is most likely dirty and in need of a bath too, but I would have to check. So I have a few questions. First off, I heard someone say that kitten shampoo was ok, is that true, because I got some kitten/cat shampoo at the pet store, they didn't have any for small pets. Should I bath them all together or just one at a time? Can I give Ro Dah a bath or is she too young (I think she is about 7 or so weeks old now) Someone told me that pigs can die if you give them a bath, though I don't think this is true, I just wanted to double check, so it is false right? Also, should I be bathing Phoenix and maybe the other pigs more often? Phoenix is overweight, and I'm thinking she can't clean herself as well, and she also has dandruff. So I'm wondering if I am supposed to bath them like every few months or something? And last but not least, is it ok to give them a bath right before putting them back in a clean cage? I didn't know if it would be to much to have them go through the stress of sitting in bins while cleaning is going on, then have to take a bath for the first time, then be put back in a new cage, but I also don't like the idea of giving them baths, just to put them back in a dirty cage. I at least want them to stay clean for a few seconds! xD

Thanks,

The human, Phoenix, Godric, Fus, And Ro Dah

basic common sense around bathing will work for most of your questions. after their bath, keep them warm and dry - you can use a hair dryer with very gentle, almost cool heat (use your hand between them and the air to make sure it's not too hot). i'd clean the cage first, then give them their bath, so afterwards they can shake it all off in a familiar and warm cage. i know you had lots more questions, which i'm sure others will respond to. i can tell you from my experience with giving a buddy bath, that it freaked my pigs out so much, they were scrambling to LEAP out of the sink - for a minute i thought they were actually taking off into flight!! they are slippery when wet and soapy, and if they don't like their bath they will do everything to escape. just be prepared. have plenty of towels, a secured surface, and if possible another person to assist. have fun!!

Haha thanks, I think I will be fine with the pigs trying the get their way out of the bath, as I have to give my cat who H.A.T.E.S water a bath...and has all claws intact. xD I'm hoping that they won't be too scared of the bath, I know Phoenix will most likely be ok with it but still scared, Godric I know will just not move, as she seems to have no "Fight or Flight" instinct, she just stays still as if she is paralyzed when she gets scared, Fus will most likely be totally chill with everything, and I wouldn't put it past her to just lay down in the bath and start purring, and I think Ro Dah will be the one to try and run away.

Have you considered that Phoenix has mites? In which case bathing would be ill advised.

No, she has always shed a lot, and had dandruff. She has never had any signs of hair loss (Except for the shedding), nor does she itch any more then the other pigs. I've been told that the dandruff and shedding a lot are because Her and Godric are Teddies, and they haven't ever shown any signs of mites in there 6 or so months here.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.