Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

A few questions

Piggie Mom

Cavy Slave
I recently adopted two two year old female piggies from CL. I have checked them and know they are female. Until today they have not liked being held, but since I had to fully clean out the cage I need to pick them up. When I got ready to put them back I decided to give them lap time and check them over really well. While I was checking Piper over I noticed her belly is very round and her nipples are dark, long and very thick. Molly and Tiger Lily have small nipples. My question is if she has had babies in the past would her nipples stay the same or is this only when they are pregnant and nursing? I have only been able to weigh Molly, Piper was terrified and really hates being picked up. I know if she is pregnant I shouldn't risk harming her or the babies to move her, but she is not huge yet so would it be okay if I was EXTRA careful? My neighbor is an ultrasound tech and carries her machine with her so maybe we can scan her belly later. :( I feel pretty bad for her if she is pregnant. :( I am hoping she is just fat and had babies a long time ago. :(

I don't have any experience with pregnancy.

But I'm hoping for your sake that your baby is ok. Maybe someone will be along soon who can help answer your questions.

Thank you. When I gently laid my hand on her belly it felt like a water balloon. Touched Molly's belly and it feels nothing like that. I know Tiger Lily's doesn't. I also noted that she drinks and eats a lot more than Molly. She lays splayed out with her legs like a frog where Molly and Tiger Lily lay on there sides or with their legs are tucked under. I think lots of things are pointing to pregnancy or she recently had a litter. Thankfully I have spare grids and coroplast so I can baby proof it needed. Again thank you. I hope she is not pregnant. :( I really hate to ask my friend to scan her belly, but I don't know what else to do. :(

At her age, there's always the possibility that she has ovarian cysts. They cause a "pregnant" pear shape as they get bigger, and also cause nipples to elongate and often have crust.

Poor thing. Pregnancy would be the better alternative it seems like. :( No crust yet, but I will keep watching her. :(

Well there are many signs to tell if they are pregnant.
Here are some:

Week 1- No signs
Week 2- Drinking more
Week 3- Gaining weight, tightening of abdomen muscles
Week 4- An experienced guinea pig expert/breeder may be able to feel small fetuses
Week 5/6- Sow looks noticeably pregnant, you can feel outlines of fetuses
Week 7/8- You will be able to feel quickening when babies kick
Week 9- Difficulty moving but will still eat/drink as normally, pelvic bones will separate sometime this week
Week 10- Babies are born

This is just a 'best guess'

Where did you get that info, 2Julia?

Well there are many signs to tell if they are pregnant.
Here are some:

Week 1- No signs
Week 2- Drinking more
Week 3- Gaining weight, tightening of abdomen muscles
Week 4- An experienced guinea pig expert/breeder may be able to feel small fetuses
Week 5/6- Sow looks noticeably pregnant, you can feel outlines of fetuses
Week 7/8- You will be able to feel quickening when babies kick
Week 9- Difficulty moving but will still eat/drink as normally, pelvic bones will separate sometime this week
Week 10- Babies are born

This is just a 'best guess'
Thank you. I had read that earlier today, but it won't help me until she is obviously pregnant. I have only had her a week so I have no idea what her eating habits were before. I am hoping she previously had babies and that is why her body looks this way. :( I am hoping she wasn't trying to breed them, then found out what could happen and wanted to get rid of them. :(

@Piggie Mom

I am so sorry! Maybe you could contact the old owner (if possible) and get all the facts.

In one of my guinea pig books, I don't know the name of it though because I recently gave it away, but this is just what I remember so that's why I wrote 'best guess'
:)

@Piggie Mom

I am so sorry! Maybe you could contact the old owner (if possible) and get all the facts.

I tried but she is very cryptic. :( Not a good sign. :( I know they are both female, so my best guess is she wanted to breed them for money and changed her mind too late or found out how dangerous it was and wanted to get rid of them instead. They are super close, like call out to each other if I am weighing one, so she couldn't just give Piper away because Molly would grieve.

My friend came by tonight and picked up Piper, she didn't know I thought she was pregnant and is used to holding our piggies, and commented on her belly and how odd it felt. So we are thinking of putting a glove over the ultrasound wand to keep it clean and scanning her belly. The only thing is I don't know if she will let us get a good look or if it will stress her. So I guess for now I am going to baby proof to be safe and get her to the vet as soon as I can. A sewer pipe at my house has busted, so now we have to come up with $3000 just for them to come fix the part they can see, and maybe more if its broken further down too. :( I will get her to the vet one way or another though. If I have to borrow the money.

Where did you get that info, 2Julia?

In one of my guinea pig books, I don't know the name of it though because I recently gave it away, but this is just what I remember so that's why I wrote 'best guess' :)

I have had 3 litters before. Is her stomach firm or jiggly? Is this extra weight just around her abdomen, or can you see it below her chin? The bald spots behind her ears, what color are those? Sorry about all the questions, but I need a little more information. :)

I have had 3 litters before. Is her stomach firm or jiggly? Is this extra weight just around her abdomen, or can you see it below her chin? The bald spots behind her ears, what color are those? Sorry about all the questions, but I need a little more information. :)
Her belly feels like a firm water balloon. A little jiggle, but not a lot. It feels firmer than it did when we got her a week ago. She does have some below her chin, but its mostly around her belly. The bald spots are a whitish pink. :) Its the way she lays, her belly, her food and water intake, and her nipples that have me concerned. Thanks for any help. I asked the previous owner again tonight, so hoping she will give me straight answers this time.

If she is pregnant she is not ready to deliver because she is not huge yet. I am just concerned since it could also be cysts. :( Again thank you.

Okay, just got an email back. No idea what to think. She originally told me she had them 2 years. She just said she only had them since July and never let them around a male. :( Since she lied about something as simple as how long she had them I can't trust that she didn't try to breed them. :(

Have you researched ovarian cysts on Guinea Lynx? I think that it's more likely that she has cysts than is pregnant.

Have you researched ovarian cysts on Guinea Lynx? I think that it's more likely that she has cysts than is pregnant.
Yeah I have. :( Got to get her to a vet as soon as I can to make sure. I am hoping she is just chubby and I need to monitor her food intake. :(

Her belly feels like a firm water balloon. A little jiggle, but not a lot. It feels firmer than it did when we got her a week ago. She does have some below her chin, but its mostly around her belly. The bald spots are a whitish pink. :) Its the way she lays, her belly, her food and water intake, and her nipples that have me concerned. Thanks for any help. I asked the previous owner again tonight, so hoping she will give me straight answers this time.

The color of the nipples may be something to be concerned about, but then again, it could be nothing. It shows that her skin is not solid all over, but I have had guinea pigs with spotted skin. If it is like a firm water balloon, she could very well be pregnant. I guess all you can do is keep a close eye on her, and if there are any changes in behavior, BRING HER TO THE VET!!!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.