Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C A few questions about my C&C cage ideas.

emeraldamykate

Cavy Slave
Hi all! I still have yet to build my cage, I have most of the supplies and I'm planning on doing it next weekend when I can have someone help me out.

Currently George is in a 46.5”L x 24” W cage, it's a little smaller than the recommended size, but it's bigger than a typical store bought cage. (Which is why I think I've gotten a bit lazy when it comes to actually building him a new one.) I really need to get it done because I have been thinking about adopting and I really should have it built before bringing another one or two home.

Anyways, onto the questions!

I've seen a few "double decker" cages, and I'm wondering how they work. Is it easy to access the bottom? I'd be using the bottom as a cage for my rabbit, so I'd need to have easy access to clean it out and replace his water and everything. I'd also need to be able to keep the bottom open for a few hours out of the day so he can hop in and out, but the top would need to be closed so George (and eventually others) won't be accessible to the cats.

This is a really dumb question. Is there really such thing as too big?
I'm thinking of a 3x7 so it will be big enough on the bottom for my rabbit. (He's on the small side, about 4.5 pounds.) But George will probably be by himself for a little while, so is that going to be too big for him? Really dumb question, I know. I'm just wondering if I'm being a little excessive when it comes to the size.

Also, is there any way someone could help me out and create an "example" picture, so I have an idea of what it will look like?
I've seen a few on here before. My idea is to have it be a 3Wx7Lx3H. 2 grids high on the bottom (so Bubba can have room to stand on his hind legs.) and 1 grid high for the top level, and it needs to have a lid. I hope this idea makes sense, and I hope you guys can help me! :eek:

I actually really like this one!
Revamped Cage - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

It gives me a great idea of how mine will look, and actually that looks pretty big. I might scale it down to a 2x6. Just because I have room for something bigger, so why not. Also this way I probably won't have to rearrange my bedroom. Also a plus! Thank you!

The only thing I don't understand is how the "door" for the bottom part works? Any ideas? :)

So I think I've decided on a cage size/design. I think I'm going to go ahead and make a 2x5x3.

Does anyone know how many grids I am going to need for this? It is going to be just like this-https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=22300&title=revamped-cage&cat=506 but instead of 4 it will be 5 across.

I already have 24 grids, and however many grids that make up 6 cubes, (I've yet to disassemble and count them,) and I still need to figure out how many more boxes I need to buy.

Also I already know where I am going to get the Coroplast, but does anyone know exactly how I am supposed to ask for it? This is a pretty silly question, I just need to make sure I get the sizes correct. Thank you all. :)

Another random question I'm throwing out there- Does anyone know a rough estimate of what this is going to cost me? Figuring in the fact that I already have some grids.

I'm guessing it will be about $100, but I have absolutely no idea how much Coroplast is. I just know where to buy it. :D

Thanks. :)

Here's an example of 3x5 bunny cage with a 3x4 piggy cage on top. (click on the pic to see details)
[GuineaPigCages.com] A few questions about my C&C cage ideas.

[GuineaPigCages.com] A few questions about my C&C cage ideas.

I haven't gotten any answers for these so I thought I'd repost them.

Does anyone know how many grids I am going to need for this? It is going to be just like this-https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=22300&title=revamped-cage&cat=506 but instead of 4 it will be 5 across.
Also I believe this is the most important question,

What size Coroplast do I need for a 2x5 with the appropriately sized walls?

Thank you! :cheerful:

You'll kinda have to count them and see how many for each level.

See this link for the coroplast size.
How to Make a C&C Cage

Most places will sell the full sheet (4x8 ft) or half sheet (4x4 ft sheet). You can get the full sheet and cut it to the size you need.

Thank you! :cheerful:

I think you need 24 for the GP cage, 28+ for the bunny part so at least 52, 62 if you want to use grids for the bottom of the bunny cage (this if for a 2x5 size cage stacked 3 grids high). For door closure, I use padlocks to be sure my daughter won't open it. You should be able to use any simple clip if you don't have kids to worry about...

Oh, okay. I was just wondering if any one knew off hand or something. But thank you! :cheerful:

I think you need 24 for the GP cage, 28+ for the bunny part so at least 52, 62 if you want to use grids for the bottom of the bunny cage (this if for a 2x5 size cage stacked 3 grids high). For door closure, I use padlocks to be sure my daughter won't open it. You should be able to use any simple clip if you don't have kids to worry about...

Oh my gosh thank you! I was worrying that I'd have to count them myself. I'm terrible at math and I'd probably lose track and get it wrong.

There aren't any kids to worry about, it's just my mom and I, (I'm 18) and I'm the only one that will be accessing it, unless the cats try anything. :D

Oh my gosh thank you! I was worrying that I'd have to count them myself. I'm terrible at math and I'd probably lose track and get it wrong.

There aren't any kids to worry about, it's just my mom and I, (I'm 18) and I'm the only one that will be accessing it, unless the cats try anything. :D

I'd hope that a cat wouldn't be crafty enough to unlock a clip!!! Glad I could help :)

I'd hope that a cat wouldn't be crafty enough to unlock a clip!!! Glad I could help :)

I think for the most part mine would be too lazy. :D
& thank you! You really did!

I like that bunny/guinea cage picture (the last one?)
that looks PERFECT.
believe me, 2X4 is ALOT bigger in person. I was going to expand to 2X5 if I adopted another piggy (i may still expand) but the 2X4 is just so spacious.
I think the bunny will appericate a 3X5 tho.

I like that bunny/guinea cage picture (the last one?)
that looks PERFECT.
believe me, 2X4 is ALOT bigger in person. I was going to expand to 2X5 if I adopted another piggy (i may still expand) but the 2X4 is just so spacious.
I think the bunny will appericate a 3X5 tho.

The last one I posted is the one I am planning on making. It looks a lot bigger than what I thought a 2x4 would be! I think I'm going to make a 2x5, but if I have any extra grids I'll make it bigger, at least on the bottom so Bubba can have some extra space.

The last one I posted is the one I am planning on making. It looks a lot bigger than what I thought a 2x4 would be! I think I'm going to make a 2x5, but if I have any extra grids I'll make it bigger, at least on the bottom so Bubba can have some extra space.

Not sure if we're on the same page here...but making sure
I was talking about the cage Lissie posted

Oh! Oops! I've been talking about this one that another user has suggested. Revamped Cage - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

I think I like it better than the one Lissie posted, I still like her suggestion, but I like the other one better. Maybe it's because I like how both the top and the bottom are the same size and it looks like it "fits" better.

I think a 2x5 should work for my bunny's size, but if I make it and it looks too small, I'll expand, which means the top will get expanded, too. :D

I'm going to assemble the grids before I buy the Coroplast, so I can see if it's big enough or not for him. But from the pictures I've seen I think it should be.

Thank you all. :cheerful:

I have a 2x7 for two pigs. It is really spacious, but the more space the better.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.