Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding A few questions about fleece liners

SonOfOdin

Cavy Slave
So im tired of using pine shavings. I hate them, they seem dirty. i doubt the pigs like being on that crap. Gets wet... and is really a pain in the butt with a 2x5 cage cleaning that all the time. So i was thinking about buying a premade fleece liner as i dont have the tools to make my own. They seem better.

If i buy a premade one, do i need anything else? Like something underneath it, or the liner by itself is fine? How often do you put the liner through the wash? Id gladly do the daily poo cleaning over pine anyday. Any tips or advice? Thanks

Nikkipig

Cavy Slave
If you buy a pre-made fleece liner from the Guinea Pig Market, for example, it has a u-haul pad sewn to the fleece. You don't need to use anything else underneath of it.

I wash my liner every 5 days with 2 pigs in a 2x4. I spot clean 2 times a day with a poop scooper and vacuum once a night. I have a 1x2 kitchen filled with wood shavings where I keep the hay, so it doesn't stick to the fleece (I also hate the shavings, but unfortunately I bought a huge bag and am trying to use them all up).

SonOfOdin

Cavy Slave
If you buy a pre-made fleece liner from the Guinea Pig Market, for example, it has a u-haul pad sewn to the fleece. You don't need to use anything else underneath of it.

I wash my liner every 5 days with 2 pigs in a 2x4. I spot clean 2 times a day with a poop scooper and vacuum once a night. I have a 1x2 kitchen filled with wood shavings where I keep the hay, so it doesn't stick to the fleece (I also hate the shavings, but unfortunately I bought a huge bag and am trying to use them all up).

Thanks for that info. Do you happen to know where you can buy those u haul pads locally at? Im having a hard time finding them. I figured lowes or home depot would sell them

LoveMyPigs25

Cavy Slave
Home depot sells them and a local uhaul store would sell them

HollyLeaf

Cavy Slave
Fleece is definitely the way to go if youre sick of those annoying shavings.
I couldnt afford one of the liners or flippers from the market, and i cant sew myself, but i was given the idea of making a no sew flipper. Its basically just a sheet of coroplast the size of the cage, with two layers of uhaul and the top fleece layer binder clipped to the coro. It works really nicely, easy to sweep and vacuum. Thats in half my cage, the other newer half of the cage just has uhaul and fleece clipped to the cage walls, and i hate it because it bunches when i sweep and gets pulled up by the vacuum. I plan to buy more coro to make my no sew flippers once i get paid again.

Thats just a thought if you find sweeping and vacuuming difficult. I dont like taking more then 30 mins a day to clean the cage, so i hate being slowed down by sweeping difficulties. But if thats okay with you then go for the liners.

SonOfOdin

Cavy Slave
Fleece is definitely the way to go if youre sick of those annoying shavings.
I couldnt afford one of the liners or flippers from the market, and i cant sew myself, but i was given the idea of making a no sew flipper. Its basically just a sheet of coroplast the size of the cage, with two layers of uhaul and the top fleece layer binder clipped to the coro. It works really nicely, easy to sweep and vacuum. Thats in half my cage, the other newer half of the cage just has uhaul and fleece clipped to the cage walls, and i hate it because it bunches when i sweep and gets pulled up by the vacuum. I plan to buy more coro to make my no sew flippers once i get paid again.

Thats just a thought if you find sweeping and vacuuming difficult. I dont like taking more then 30 mins a day to clean the cage, so i hate being slowed down by sweeping difficulties. But if thats okay with you then go for the liners.

anything would be fast cleaning than shavings! It gets literally everywhere. sticks to wall. Sticks to the table their on. Stick on the carpet. Then when adding new stuff in everything blows crap around lol. I like your idea. Not even needing to sew it. Never thought bout that!