Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

A few more new Mum questions...

stelly

Cavy Slave
So I've had Chewy and Gus for over a week now.

They are much happier to be handled, but I still have a few areas of concern-

- They don't like the alfafa I've been giving them (OxBow Alfafa nibbles) they ignore it and gobble the Timothy hay like there's no tomorrow. Is this okay? Or should I only give them the Alfafa for a bit, because of the extra calcium, etc.?

- They don't seem to play at all. They either hide in their Pigloo or (and they prefer this) huddle the two of them into a small paper lunchbag I put into the cage, or they dash around in a panic if I remove the hiding places. I've yet to see them use anything for any purpose other than hiding. I have 2 chewy sticks in there for them that they ignore, although I have caught Gus chewing the water bottle stem. Is this normal? Will they start to "play" more as they get older and more comfortable?

I seriously think that one day we went off to work with them huddled in the paper bag, and when we got home 8 hours later, they hadn't moved at all.

- What should I be doing so that they get excited to see us? They still run away from us most of the time when we get near the cage. Sometimes I can reach in and pet them for a bit and they stay still, other times they go bananas trying to get away from me. When we pick them up they seem to be quite happy to sit on our laps, they have lost the bug-eyed, terrified look they used to have, but they still don't seem to enjoy it very much...

Just wondering if all this is normal. I am so keen for them to be happy, but am really puzzled by their behaviour sometimes!

Thanks.
Stelly.

MetallichicA

Cavy Slave
Sounds like you're enjoying them, congratulations on your new piggies! :)

As far as your questions, I'll answer them to the best of my knowledge:
1. You should be giving your piggies as much timothy hay as they want. If they want the alfalfa pellets, they'll eat them. I know most people here recommend staying away from alfalfa hay because of TOO much calcium - it causes stones or something (I can't remember exactly).

2 & 3. They'll probably hide for a while until they start getting used to the new home. Guinea pigs are naturally pretty skittish so it will take them a bit. Whenever I've gotten new piggies, I'll sit by the cage and read or do something quietly, talking to them occasionally so they get used to the sound of my voice - and realize that I'm an okay, quiet, calm person that they can be around.

I would say don't remove all their hiding places, that may scare them too much. Leave one in just in case they really get spooked. Do you know what kind of treats they prefer yet? Maybe carrots, celery, or lettuce - bring some of that in with you, and hold it out for them. Keep it *just* far enough away from their hiding place that they have to come out to get it, but close enough that they can still smell it and run back and hide if they want. Talk softly to them and coax them out, don't make any sudden movements... they should start poking their heads out to get to the good stuff! :)

3. As far as them being excited - I *always* give my piggy more hay or a treat (fresh veggies) when I come in the room. She recognizes my footsteps and will run to her rack when she hears me coming. I talk or sing to her when I'm coming in too, so I think she recognizes my voice. Piggies are very good at learning everyone's different personalities in a household. As far as picking them up - do you keep a towel on your lap? You could try that, and leave it a bit rumpled so they can kind of burrow into it if they feel nervous.

Kind of long-winded here, sorry. Don't know how much info you need, so I'll stop for now. Hope this helped!

Becky

kennethlhm

Cavy Slave
How old r your GP? Alfafa hay is suitable for growing pigs. Timothy hay is more preferable bcoz not that high calcium as alfafa which will cause bladder stone.

GP need hidding place in their cage. They like to hide inside hidely house.

You can try to hand feeding them so that they will like to see u get near the cage.

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
M

Malcsy04

its normal

All this stuff is perfectly normal...It takes a little while for them to get used to their sorroundings and warm up to you.... All piggies eat hay like theirs no tomorrow...its perfectly fine... YOu can even give them an unlimited amount...its good for digestion. Dont you love how they totally ignore all the store bought items? Thats cuz they are really not even the right kind. As long as the piggies are eating a lot of hay there tooth length will stay down. GOOD LUCK!

chucklesmom

Cavy Slave
My pigs chew on the water bottle stem too. i've never seen a problem with it. at least it keeps their teeth filed down.

stelly

Cavy Slave
My babies are less than 2 months old at the moment. I think they were born on 4/21.

They just don't seem to do anything except hide. I suppose they'll grow out of it.

It's true that they refuse to eat anything except veggies, pellets and hay. They totally ignore the "guinea pig treats" I bought from the store.

One thing I'm surprised about, they have just started to "bite" (just pushing teeth lightly against the skin) whenever I try to put them back in their cage. They will nibble my finger a little when I hold them on my lap, but when I go to put them back in the cage, they will try to "bite" me maybe 4 times.

Is this just a phase? Or should I expect the biting to get worse?

Thanks!

chucklesmom

Cavy Slave
I've noticed that most piggies babies bite softly....I think they are just testing like human toddlers do. Mine have all grown out of it, though they will do it lightly if I am holding them and don't notice their signals for wanting to go in the cage to go to the bathroom.

As for the store bought treats, none of my girls have ever had any interest in touching those. They love their hay more than anything and eat veggies and pellets readily also.

Hope this makes you feel better.

Liz

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
Comments on several of the above posts:

1. Growing pigs do well with alfalfa. My piggies liked the hay/straw form of it but not the hard bales. I'm not sure what age to wean them off of it. Some places say 6 mo. others say 1 year.
  2. Both my pigs bit as babies but grew out of it. They would actually bite hard and even draw blood. I think it was a combination of a couple things. One is that it seems that babies of all species investigate things with their mouths. Another is that often I would have food smells on my hands and if I got my hand anywhere near their mouths, they would try to eat. Especially when they are young, wash your hands to remove food smells before handling them.
  3. Give them a little time. They will get used to you. Try hand feeding them - a little bribery goes a long way.

Jennie&Steve

Cavy Slave
Remember, too, that it's natural for babies to hide more than adults, especially without their mom around. They're much more active in the evenings, too. I know that in the afternoon my piggie will go in her box and stay there all day napping. In the evenings, though, she pops out and starts begging for food. There's a lot of good advice on this thread. I'm sure if you do those things they'll warm up to you in no time. You'll be amazed at how fast they learn! (Mine runs out from her cage and squeaks any time the refrigerator door is opened ... and she lives in the next room!)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.