Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning A few beginner questions about washing fleece

Frode789

Cavy Slave
So, I've been thinking about getting fleece. I've read a bit about it, and it looks great :) However, my biggest concern is related to the machine washing:

- In your experience, do you find piggie hair on washes after the piggie stuff? Would it reduce the problem if you first do the fleece, and then the piggie towels @ 60C?

- I've seen some writing about having problems with hair clogging up in the washing machine, leading to bad washing performance/costly repairs. This is what I'm most worried about, as the washing machine isn't mine, it is very expensive, and I really don't want to screw it up.. :crazy:

- Also, are you bothered with smell on the fleece? Do you use less detergent then on your regular cloth washings? How do you wash it? (I've seen some say 40C, others 60C etc)

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I wash mine on hot, normal amount of detergent that's free/clear and put in about 2 cups of white vinegar in the wash. There is a slight odor at times coming out of the dryer but it goes away after airning a bit. Many hang theirs outside to dry and that takes care of the problem. As for the hair, I've never had a problem with pet hair, guinea pigs, cat or dog.

JennasPigs

Cavy Slave
Try to shake it out as best as you can before putting it in the wash. Use a fragrance free detergent in the washer and do not use fabric softener in the drier. I wipe out fur and hay pieces with a paper towel afterwards. I have never had any problems :)

Traysea

Cavy Slave
When the weather is nice I hose my fleece outside, it gets off 97% of the mess including hay, pee and poop stains. If it's raining I shake it out as best as I can outside in my garden or across the street in the woods. Then I pre-rinse/ soak it in the bathroom sink. Sometimes i just hand wash it in the sink. But it also depends on the size of your sink and what size you do your fleece in. Large liners are more difficult to wash. So are towels. I find the bed pads the fastest and easiest to wash BUT my chinchilla is very clean and usually just makes on a tiny potty pad and my pig is only a baby so she doesn't pee as much as say a trio of boys :eek:)

If you want to protect the washing machine and dryer, I would pre rinse as much as you can and then put them in a laundry wash bag. I just ordered a couple of 24"x36" laundry wash bags for my fleece for bad/cold weather. I think they were about 10.99 each plus shipping. I probably need a couple more but wanted to try them out first and don't want to damage my old machines.

Frode789

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your responses :) As for the wash bags, I heard some say those aren't recommended since the fleece wont be properly cleaned? If anyone has experience with using them, post here :)

Traysea

Cavy Slave
They seem to be more popular in england, the one recommended most was one used to wash horse blankets. I think they don't get them as clean if you over stuff the bags. Also, the point is to keep the bulk of the hair and hay inside the bag so I assume if there is a lot of it on the fleece it's going to need to be cleaned off after it's been washed. But my fleece is pretty clean before it goes in the washer to begin with since I pre-rinse or hand wash.

NursePiggy

Cavy Slave
Because mine use their litter pans for most of their business they do not have too much mess on the fleece. I just give it a good shake, pick, or sweep with a lint roller if it is really messy. Then wash with detergent and vinegar in hot water, and do an extra rinse cycle. AFter words i might wipe out the washer or just do another rinse cycle if I want to clean out the machine better. Then dry in the dryer on med-high setting. I have never noticed any odors or smells from it and the piggies seem to enjoy it afterwards. Be sure you prepare your fleece so it wicks before you use it too...having an absorbant towel and a puppy pad under it is also advisable. My towel rarely ever gets soiled for the litter pan is where they like to do their pee pee business. Enjoy the fleece! Its fun to buy all kinds of neat patterns! Pigs love color and they popcorn a lot when a new pattern is put in their cages.