Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General A couple questions

BrendaMarie

Cavy Slave
OK I'm not "new" to piggies but I still have a few questions...

Snowy (my boar) has a completely white bottom. This may sound silly but oftentimes it's more yellow than it is white. I'm thinking it's urine because when I put him in a sink with a small amount of water some of it will soak off but not all of it. He's a free range piggy for most of the time... Allowed to roam freely on the kitchen floor. He pees in only 2 places, both of which are out of site and easy to clean daily. I'm not sure why he's urine colored or what I should do about it. Any help?

Also, we live in an apartment with a small side yard everyone shares. I've been taking him out there to free graze in this nice weather. He's started to want to run a bit though. Unfortunately, I can't build a run for him there. I know leashes aren't recommended but why? I'm thinking that's all I can do.

Thanks for all the help :)

I dont have much input for his bottem, but I can help you with the leashes

Gps backs are not as all flexible. do a tug on a leah could really hurt him. They are also really little.

Try making a run out of C&C grides. You can set it up and take it down as you wish. Of corse, supper vise him

Guinea pigs have delicate spines that can get injured from leashes. Tugging, they may jerk around on it, etc. There have been enough reported injuries for me to never want my pigs in one.

One thing that concerns me about letting him on shared grass like that, is apartments often use chemicals on the grass to make it more aesthetically pleasing. If you have contacted the landlord and deemed it safe, why can you not buy another box of grids to make a run that is easily collapsible?

Thanks. Unfortunately it'd be too hard for me physically to put up/take down a grid several times a day considering I'm handicapped :(

They don't fertilize our yard just seed it and I always wait til there's a good drenching rain after it's been seeded before I take him out again.

I'd never have him out there without some sort of enclosure. If you have hawks or birds of prey there, it would take a split second for him to get grabbed. You also run the risk posed by loose dogs or him running away.

I have seen outdoor runs for cats - they may be pricey, but thy kind of look like long netted tunnels. they seem light weight and very portable. maybe you could use something like that?

I make a play pen by attaching a bunch of grids together with zip ties. I leave it unattached at one part so it's collapsable into a stack of grids. ThenI simply pull the grids up and connect it with a connector.

We live in an apartment as well and have a giant central courtyard. I did this with Sherby and am now doing it with Yang.

I take him outside with me for a few minutes at a time, lengthening the amount of time each day. About a week or two depending on how this time has gone I go out with a blanket and a good book and take Yang as well. Slowly they explore their bigger world and become comfortable with it.

Yang is only about eight weeks old so he isn't there yet but we had Sherbert for about five years and I would open the front door and send her out to play all day just like I do with my kids. She never ran away or got attacked by anything. I watched really closely the first few months though and made sure she was introduced to any other animals in the area. I never used an enclosure or a run..I didn't need to...she just ran with the kids. I'm training Yang the same way.

Maybe a combination of this and some of the other advice will work for you.

@Daisha,
It's really not safe to let your piggie run out without supervision. You are lucky she hasn't been attacked.

Some areas have many predator animals and big birds that can swoop down to catch the pig.

@Daisha, please do not recommend that people allow guinea pigs outside without being in proper cages. That is contrary to the philosophy of this forum, and isn't safe for any guinea pig. Additionally, how will you feel if someone takes your advice and something happens to their pig?

Please notice I didn't say I just sent them outside and that was it.
First I'm aware of what kinds of wild animals are in the area second this was a months long process. And once I got Sherby to that point I didn't just throw her outside and walk away....I was always well aware of where she was and what she was doing. Please also notice that I didn't "recommend" anything....I said this is what I do, this worked for me. I also said that using different things that people have suggested might be the best way.

I'll NEVER get on here and say "I think you should do this, or that"....each situation is different from my own....I WILL share what I've done and what has worked for me.

I've been an animal person my entire life and am well aware of how to care for and give good lives to my beloved pets.

Oh....
If I try something that someone has suggested and something were to happen...I'd feel responsible and horrible. But I wouldn't blame the one who gave a suggestion! That's absolutely ridiculous. We each must take complete responsibility for our choices and actions regarding our pets....and everything else in life for that matter.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.