Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior a couple questions...new piggie

eleem

Cavy Slave
I adopted a new piggie (only child) about two weeks ago, I know they live better in pairs or more so I decided to get another. I finally gave in a built a C&C cage and they are truly so much better but I knew I needed are larger cage if I was going to adopt another. When I was picking my piggie today (female to live with another female), she seemed to have the hiccups and still does, but it has only been a couple hours, is this normal?. I tried to introduce the two in a neutral area and there were no arguments except my first piggie is much more active than my new one who just sat and smelled and my old one ran under the new one a couple times. I decided to put a divider in the cage but the both keep sticking their noses through, is this normal or do they want to be together or are they trying to attack each other?
sorry this is so long! just wondering about the hiccups and the two of them getting along. THANKS!

Did you keep the new pig in quarantine for 3 weeks? I know this is hard to do, but it's really important. The pig might be coughing, or it might be sick. I would separate them completely if possible, but their behavior seems normal. I believe that as long as there is no blood drawn, the pigs are fine. It might take a while to establish who the alpha pig will be, but as time goes on, they will get along better. My four pigs took about a month to get completely used to each other.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.