Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Treats A cool treat for a hot piggie.

Precia

Cavy Slave
Today is warm for New Hampshire, and my house does not have central A/C. My window-unit was taking it's time to cool down my room so I was racking my brain as to how I could keep Felix comfortable... and then I thought of frozen peas. Now Felix has never cared to eat a non-lettuce vegetable for me before, but I figured the peas were worth a shot. Low and behold, he likes them!

(Please let me know if I should not be feeding my guinea pigs frozen peas. I didn't think it could be bad for him seeing as it's just peas.)

Unfortunately frozen peas are not a good treat for your piggy. Here is a thread with more indepth conversation on the topic if you want to know more.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/threads/21516/

If your piggy was willing to eat frozen peas, maybe he would like fresh ones. I know that doesn't suit your need for a treat on a warm day, but it does give him a new veggies to eat other than lettuce.

You can freeze a water bottle and put in in a sock to help your piggy out on a warm day. He can lay next to it if he gets to hot. It will work as his own personal AC.

Your pig can have a small amount of watermelon. Also you can put a fan by him. Just dont let the fan blow directly on him or be to close to the cage. I have a fan about 6 feet from my cage. it is at an angle so it does not blow directly.

Use a stone, like a granite sample or a stone cutting board you can buy. The fan will work too, just make sure it is a small fan and doesn't make much noise. Feel cooler, Felix.

Trust me, I have tried watermelon, along with many other veggies. The only thinkg he will eat is the spring mix! I recently read the thread on frozen/canned veggies and will not be feeding frozen again. I will try the water bottle trick. What a good idea!

Guinea pigs don't sweat, so using a fan won't do anything. Fans make you cooler by allowing your sweat to evaporate faster. Instead, put some frozen water bottles in the cage, or something along those lines. My guinea pigs like to play with ice cubes.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.