Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Many? A companion for Kitty Bear...

leopharry

Cavy Slave
Hello, all. My name is Cassie, and I'm new 'round these parts. I recently bought a guinea pig (Kitty Bear), and she seems very happy so far. However, between work and school, I'm home for roughly half of the day, and I would like to get her a companion for the other half, preferably from the store from which I bought her. However however, her cage isn't quite big enough yet (the cage is also store bought), and, though I certainly have the money to support one guinea pig, I wouldn't be so certain if I got another one, and I don't want to buy a second one if I'm not 100 percent certain I would be able to care for her properly.

I'm conflicted; I don't want her to be lonely, but I want to be sure I can take proper care of my pets. Does anyone have any advice?

I'm just worried that with a second one, it'll double the food, double the hay, the bedding, the chew toys, and everything else I'll need to buy.... One guinea pig is manageable, but adding a second might make things tight, especially with my other bills. I'm just worried, I guess. I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't, and I really don't want to be damned. XP

I'm just worried that with a second one, it'll double the food, double the hay, the bedding, the chew toys, and everything else I'll need to buy.... One guinea pig is manageable, but adding a second might make things tight, especially with my other bills. I'm just worried, I guess. I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't, and I really don't want to be damned. XP
You're not going to spend anywhere close to double. Bedding really doesn't make a difference; you'll probably still be changing it with the same frequency. You might also want to look into a washable fleece cage liner instead of disposable bedding to save some more money.

As for food and hay, my two pigs share pretty well. You can get huge amounts of really good quality hay and pellets (both timothy and alfalfa) from KMS Hayloft; most petstores have 5 pound bags of crappy candy pellets for like 10 bucks, but you can get a 10 pound bag of really good quality stuff from KMS for the same price.

Okay... Thank you, everybody. :D
I think I'm going to wait until I can build the C&C cage before getting a second. It would be much easier for them to share space if there's more of it...

And as for the KMS Hayloft referral, Mastershroom, thank you so much! I didn't even think about looking online for their food. XP Guess I have a lot to learn. xD

Welcome! I'm glad you found this site!
So I wanted to echo everyone's reassurances to your worries that two piggies cost too much – they don't! I've only been noticing a need to buy more now that I have three, and even then that just relates to two green peppers instead of one, two bags of food instead of one, blah blah blah. Two piggies really don't cause that big of a dent in the pocket. They can share a lot of things and if you cut corners initially with fleece like everyone suggested, it's SO cheaper than buying a bag of uncomfortable aspen or pricey Carefresh every week! I don't have coroplast yet, but the sign store I go through will sell me a sheet for $12. I don't use a piggybedspread either, I just have a tarp down (99 cents from the local Ollie's), old towels and then fleece tucked under my grids.
Example:
[GuineaPigCages.com] A companion for Kitty Bear...
Although poops can sneak out onto the floor and she likes to chew the bars to get me to hold her (little diva!), it still looks nice when you contain the fleece under the tarp/towel layers.

I am a college student so money is definitely not something I can just spend anywhere! I still am able to live comfortably with three piggies (soon to be four!) :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.