Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Ivermectin $300 dollars later Harley STILL has lice.

funkyhair

Cavy Slave
Very upset today! About a week ago I did the last treatment of ivermectin for my guinea pigs (two of them) since they had lice and were itchy. Anyway, today I noticed that Nancy had flaky skin, couldn't see any lice but noticed he is REALLY itchy and starts chewing the air when I pet him. Then I grabbed Harley and started combing his hair (he is long hair) and I saw a live lice moving, and noticed a small red bumpy spot, and while I was combing him he bit me. Bit me REALLY hard, like I bled and I cried because, well I am not sure. :( All this has cost me $300 exact. For two vet visits for my two piggies. I am starting to get paranoid that, the treatment has not worked....Any advice or help? How long should I wait for the ivermectin to kill everything?

Feeling a little sad and panicking..... They are living in a new enclosure as well and will be purchasing a brand new one from a local rescue soon, but paranoid that the lice aren't ever going to be gone.

Yeah, just feel like it was pointless taking them to the vet.

I've just started my lice treatment...and against things I've read, I'm following my rescue lady's advice. She put 2 drops of revolution on each pig Saturday. She then told me to give them a GOOD scrubbing bath on Sunday. I washed EVERY piece of fleece and U-haul pad I have on the sanitize setting (hot would have worked I'm sure) and used a light bleach solution on the coroplast (and then did a vinegar wipe down too). I put the pigs back in and in a week we do another scrubbing bath. If that doesn't take care of it, we'll do a 2nd revolution treatment at the 4 week mark. The revolution she used was just regular dog revolution and she used a tiny (like 1cc) syringe for the 2 drops.

I'm also going to place another gorgeous guineas order for a bottle of lice n' easy since I've read people see no lice after 2 or 3 baths. This way, I aslo have a back up plan later. Good luck!

How many doses were they given? Was the Ivermectin given by injection or topically? I feel your pain. I took a pair of guinea pigs to a vet, was told they were clean and wasted $80. They obviously had mites so I ended up treating them myself.

From what I've read Ivermectin alone isn't going to take care of lice. We used it for mites, which are very different, and it worked well. Our vet also gave us an Ivermectin shampoo to use along with oral. I'd take a look at the guinea lynx links that bpatters gave to look at treatment options for lice. Goodluck!

There could be a few reasons why the treatment didn't work. What was the ivermectin strength? How was it administered? How far apart were the treatments?

It's so easy and inexpensive to treat with ivermectin yourself.

That said, I feel that Revolution works best for lice. You usually have to get it from a vet, but you can order it online from Pet Shed.

SeeSpotSit, it's not a good idea to just put "two drops" on your pig. It's best to figure out the correct dosage following the directions at Guinea Lynx. As with any drug, there's a chance of overdose.

SeeSpotSit, it's not a good idea to just put "two drops" on your pig. It's best to figure out the correct dosage following the directions at Guinea Lynx. As with any drug, there's a chance of overdose.

Oh I didn't, the rescue did. I told her how much they weigh and she used the syringe accordingly...it just so happens it was 2 drops from the little syringe. It's been 3 days and they're great, so obviously no overdose here - Yay!

Also - GuineaLynx makes no mention of dosing for revolution, that I could see anyway. I only saw dosing for Advantage (and even that doesn't mention cat vs dog - only to buy the original). Hence, why I called the rescue.

Last edited:
Oh I didn't, the rescue did. I told her how much they weigh and she used the syringe accordingly...it just so happens it was 2 drops from the little syringe. It's been 3 days and they're great, so obviously no overdose here - Yay!

Also - GuineaLynx makes no mention of dosing for revolution, that I could see anyway. I only saw dosing for Advantage (and even that doesn't mention cat vs dog - only to buy the original). Hence, why I called the rescue.
Actually Guinea lynx does make mention of it but on the mites page at the bottom. https://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html

I have read the guinea lynx site a lot of times. but I figure an exotic vet would know all that. They had two treatments for lice she told me, not mites although one of my guinea pigs had a large scab. I believe they were 2 weeks apart, and by injection...(they screamed). I know many of you DIY but I wanted the vet to do it because I was a little paranoid, so I went to the so called expert and get their checkup while they were there. I am very upset, should I call her and tell her that they are actually worse? Harley bit me for the first time ever only for touching him =/ Maybe I should suck it up and deal with it by myself which REALLY pisses me off.

Ivermectin injections don't treat lice. Ivermectin injection and oral only treat mites. For lice, Advantage or Revolution will work better. Ivermectin applying topically can also be used for lice.

Two weeks apart is also too far apart. For ivermectin to work on mites, it needs to be given 7 days apart, for at least 3 doses.

Makes sense. I was interested in the lice page since I've only used injected ivermectin for mites and I knew that doesn't work for lice...didn't even go to the mites page :)

See the vet said that the ivermectin injections should kill all the eggs and told me to wash everything and sanitize their enclosure... Could it be this vet is not good at all?

Ivermectin injections don't treat lice. Ivermectin injection and oral only treat mites. For lice, Advantage or Revolution will work better. Ivermectin applying topically can also be used for lice.

Two weeks apart is also too far apart. For ivermectin to work on mites, it needs to be given 7 days apart, for at least 3 doses.

Tell that to my "exotic vet". My husband is calling the vet right now and he is VERY MAD. That's what I get for trusting a vet. I asked her if she could give me a shampoo or something, but she looked at me like I was stupid. I was going to use that money to adopt a new piggy but now I am just sad. For the advantage is it the dog or cat one?

You need the original Advantage, not Advantage II.

And you don't need to sterilize everything for mites -- they can't live off a host. It's fungus that you have to do an all-out sterilization for. I'd clean the cage good and wash the bedding, but that's about it.

Also, shampoos don't work for mites. They can be used for fungus in conjunction with something to treat specific lesions, but bathing a pig with mites will severely irritate the pig. The mites sort of go wild with water and make the pig very itchy.

They have lice, that's why I was asking for shampoo. Thank you all for helping me and my piggies say thank you too. I definetly would not recommend this vet to anyone. I believe they may have had mites, but their scabs and hair loss is doing well now, its just the lice now which the injectable ivermectin didn't kill. I am going to get the advantage and see how it goes. He is long haired and I can see the eggs everywhere :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.