Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dominance 3 month old brothers fighting?

Vrolrebe092

Cavy Slave
I've had my 2 male guinea pigs for only 2 days, but I've noticed a fair amount of chasing and pouncing. I usually just hear scrambling and running, then hear chattering and squeaking. I'm not sure what to do. No one has drawn blood, but I'm a little nervous. I don't have to room to expand the cage, if that's the problem :(

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
They're boars. They're going to argue and struggle for dominance.

How large is their cage? What kind of cage furniture do you have in it? How many pellet bowls, water bottles, hay piles do you have?

Vrolrebe092

Cavy Slave
Their cage is 9 square feet. I have 2 hay piles, only 1 bottle and pellet bowl. Planning on getting double. Is that all I need to worry about? I'm a bit of a paranoiac

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Nine square feet is pretty small for two boars, although at three months old, they should be ok in it for a little while longer.

I'd add another water bottle. What kind of hideys do you have? If they have only one door, take them out and replace them with something with two doors so no pig has anywhere it can get trapped. Upside down cardboard boxes (no lids, holes cut in both ends) will do. Or drape fleece across a couple of corners of the cage.

But the behavior you're describing is normal. They're trying to figure out who is top pig, and that may go on for months, even years. As long as they're not getting into all-out fights, I wouldn't worry about it.

Vrolrebe092

Cavy Slave
I'll upgrade the cage as soon as I can. As for the hideys, I'm looking at just 2 with only one door. I'll definitely try some of those suggestions of yours. Thank you so much! I feel much better

Saylavi

Cavy Slave
Dominance happens, try getting them as much floor time as possible to let them burn off some of that energy. As long as nobody takes a chunk out of the other I wouldn't worry about it