Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding 3 day old Pup taming tips plz :D

rubypig

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone, I am in the process of taming my guinea pig Chilly's pup, the pup is completely adorable and pretty much tame already but I was wondering what other things everyone has tried and tested to make the pup as completely comfortable with being held and loved as possible. Currently I hold the pup frequently in my hands and on my lap, I also give lots of kisses on pups face and head and I love doing the nose touching while I talk to the pup, his mother is very tame and she gets lots of kisses too but as I couldn't pick her up too much when got towards the end of her pregnancy she seems to be nippy when I try to pick her up and extra skittish.

Pup bites my hand very softly, seems to be checking out what I am I guess and what my fingers are made off :D but VERY softly, not even bite, more like nibbles. Should I allow pup to do this? I hope I'm not showing its ok to nibble?

Any extra tips much appreciated!

Sounds to me like your pup is already getting used to being held. As for the nibbling, that's how Kwee started, but now she draws blood when she gets hold of my finger. ;)

If she starts to bite too hard, tap her on the nose with a finger.

Could I make a noise she will recognise rather than the tap? I don't think my heart would let me tap her on the nose to be honest, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt but I think it would hurt me more :D

I managed to train Ruby, my boy, to recognise the sound when I tap my hand on the sofa that signals he's not to try to chew thought he cage, when he hears the subtle sound he stops immediately. I trained him to know this by watching from a far and as soon as his teeth touched the cage I'd tap. He's very clever!

Maybe they aren't easily potty trained but they understand a whole lot more than they get credit for.he even knows his name! Chilly does too but she's been preoccupied by the baby!

Babies nibble and nip. I would not try to "train" a baby.

I would also not "train" an older pig. Perhaps Chilly got a bit nippy because she was tired of being kissed all the time? And picking up a female towards the end of pregnancy is not a good idea.

Babies nibble and nip. I would not try to "train" a baby.

I would also not "train" an older pig. Perhaps Chilly got a bit nippy because she was tired of being kissed all the time? And picking up a female towards the end of pregnancy is not a good idea.

Hi Foggycreekcavy, just to clear up what I was saying, they're not dogs so yes I'm aware they shouldn't be trained asa such but I think I have down well to have good communication with Ruby to let him know it's not good to try to chew through the cage as this helps to stop potential accidents. I wasn't picking up Chilly when she was heavily pregnant as its quite obvious it's not a good idea, I agree with you. Baby pup nibbled probably as I had the smell of veg in my hands, cilantro for example even after washing your hands can leave an aroma. Pup loves being kissed and cuddled I'm sure because he closes his eyes and snuggles up, he doesn't try to escape which would be a sure sign of him not liking it.

Everyone without knowing it actually trains there guineas to recognise things all the time, that wheek because they heard the veggy bag rustle or the fridge door open means they 'trained' to learn that. 'training' is actually learning so I don't think it's a bad thing at all as long as people aren't training them to jump through hoops lol

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.