Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

2 males from the same cage

miccee

Cavy Slave
If I were to get 2 males from the same cage at the same shop... will they fight? I mean, they have already got along each other for quite sometime

If they got along fine there, then i'm sure they'd love it if you took them home together.

But I wouldn't reccomend buying from a petstore though!

We all no how you fell so you dont have to always reapeat yourself every time someone mentions apet store.

"no hard fellings"

He lives in Malaysia so there aren't any adoptions near him. Guinea pigs are apparently rare there.

make sure their eyes are bright and they are moving around, if they are easy to catch you may want to change your mind it could be a sign of sickness. Also check them for any scabs discharge watch for a while to see if they are scratching, see how the staff treats them when they get them out for you. Make sure they have a good cage. If you see one sick one in that litter dont get ANY pig from that cage because illnesses in guinea pigs are usually highly contagious.

dagwellismypigy said:
make sure their eyes are bright and they are moving around, if they are easy to catch you may want to change your mind it could be a sign of sickness. Also check them for any scabs discharge watch for a while to see if they are scratching, see how the staff treats them when they get them out for you. Make sure they have a good cage. If you see one sick one in that litter dont get ANY pig from that cage because illnesses in guinea pigs are usually highly contagious.
related to this topic sort of

I found a shelter through this site but most ofthere adopting out sites are in petsmart
in Colorado called Cavy Care Inc. do you think getting a guinea pig there is okay?

im not sure it;s still a pet store if they ask for an adoption fee ask where the money is going

Thats where I got my first pig from. Salem was in a wire bottom cage all by himself. A sign on his cage said he was 15$ for donantion to a rescue. I dont know if this was true, but Salem is a long haired pig(silkie) and he was almost bald from mites. Most rescues that I know of treat medical problems before putting the pig up for adoption. No one asked me anything about myself, and I was 12 at the time, so they shouldent have sold him to me in the first place. He is the best pig Ive ever had though.

amfeider- this is a rescue friendly messageboard, of course the people are going to promote adopting, please don't discourage it.

I think the trouble is that people new to pigs come here and mention petshops in all ignorance, or else someone has a particular reason for going to a petshop (like lack of available rescues) but doesn't say so. Then when someone (quite reasonably) mentions the badness thereof, regulars have heard it many times and forget that new people haven't, and new people can feel attacked. After all, I suspect a lot of people come here out of concern for their new pig and get a bit scared by the vehement anti-petshopness that hits them. Perhaps we need a few more rescue-related banners about the place: you can't really have too many and it would establish the ethos.

My pig is from a pet shop, I'm afraid. I was in with a friend buying CareFresh for her hamster (there are only two pet shops in town, both of which sell animals, and it's the nicer one) and I bought him out of sentiment because I know it's wrong but he looked at me. It wasn't the best of things to do, but I have Monty now and I'm going to make sure that his life, at least, is as good as I can make it. When I get him a friend I'll be able to plan properly, so he will be a rescue pig. I shall also buy his pet supplies online: that way I can get him the best and I won't get seduced from the path of righteousness by another pair of big brown eyes...

So, yes. Everyone has a point. Or something. Hurrah.

If they are staying together since they are born & put in same cage. Then should not be a problem.

We have to buy GP from petshops. GP is not very popular pets in Malaysia. Some people not even know they are called GP, & consider them as big hamster...

Anyway I am trying my best to introduce GP in local pet forum. Share the experience & knowlegde I get from oversea forum with them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.