Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Mounting 2 Females Mounting Each Other?

Zuidy

Cavy Slave
Well, I recently got 2 female Guinea Pigs. I haven't, I admit, checked the sexes yet. I am a little spooked by the fact that I DIDN'T check them and this happened this morning:

This morning, I woke up and went to see my Piggies. They were cuddled up in the middle hide box. (there are 3 of them, they were in the middle hide hut) I filled up all of their food bowls, water bottles, and then their Timothy Hay manger. Then, I tried using a taming method with the pigs. As I was doing this, I took a break, and I went away and got on the computer. When I came back, they were still in the middle hut. I looked at the pigs, and my short-haired pig LOOKED like it was mounting my long haired Abyssinian Guinea pig. It was hard to tell because of the hut. I quick got out my Guinea Pig handbook and looked up the mating ritual. It said that the male would purr at the female, which he (she?) did, and after they "Mount", if that's what they were doing, they would take a break of about a minute. They did this, and then resumed what I thought was mounting, as the book said. And then, the book said that the pigs would lick their genitals, WHICH THEY DID...... now I was freaked out. As I looked a bit closer after they had "finished" whatever they might have been doing, it seems like they might not have been mounting after all.

Now, nowhere in the book does it say that females could/would/do mount each other. I resorted to the Web. It says at many places online that females may attempt at mounting each other to show dominance.

Please, can somebody give me some insight as to your experiences with 2 females, and what I should do if this happens? I am NEARLY 100% positive both animals are females. Should I worry?

Wait, so did you check to see if they are all females yet? I'm not sure if they do this because I only have 1, but a friend of mine is going to bring her sow over so they can play together, so I will let you know if they do the same thing.

Wait, so did you check to see if they are females yet?

No, and this was my fault of course. The Guinea Pigs were so scared when I got them, they still won't let me pick them up, so I can't even think about checking the sexes. Sorry!

No, and this was my fault of course. The Guinea Pigs were so scared when I got them, they still won't let me pick them up, so I can't even think about checking the sexes. Sorry!

It's fine, would you be able to have a cavy savvy vet do it for you?

It's fine, would you be able to have a cavy savvy vet do it for you?

I believe I am on the verge of being able to do it myself. One pig is almost tame. Once I get a whole day to work on the taming, I will make sure the first thing I do with the newly tamed Cavy(s) is check the sexes of each.

:)

Zuidy, you need to sex them immediately before you have several more guinea pigs to sex -- they're plenty old enough to breed. And if you've had them several days, you need to be catching them every day anyway to help tame them.

First, read Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig.

To catch them, cut holes in the end of a shoe box and gently shoo them in. You can put a favorite treat in if you want to. Lift the box out of the cage, take the guinea pig out of the box, and examine its nether regions carefully.

Female pigs do mount for dominance, and occasionally when they're in heat. But you well may not have two females. You didn't say where you got them, but if you got them from a pet shop or a backyard breeder, they could easily be missexed. Please check them now.

Zuidy, you need to sex them immediately before you have several more guinea pigs to sex -- they're plenty old enough to breed. And if you've had them several days, you need to be catching them every day anyway to help tame them.

First, read Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig.

To catch them, cut holes in the end of a shoe box and gently shoo them in. You can put a favorite treat in if you want to. Lift the box out of the cage, take the guinea pig out of the box, and examine its nether regions carefully.

Female pigs do mount for dominance, and occasionally when they're in heat. But you well may not have two females. You didn't say where you got them, but if you got them from a pet shop or a backyard breeder, they could easily be missexed. Please check them now.

I know how to tell the sex of them.

Sadly, I cannot check right now because I am not around them. I will when I get home though.

bpatters, when mounting, do Guinea Pigs move at all? Or do they stay still?

Zuidy......there is no "one size fits all" rule for cavies......just like there isn't for humans. There are more generalities than specifics. People forget that cavies are as individual as we are.

If you have a male and female, mounting is more likely to be sexual than simply exhibiting dominance. If the cavies are of the same sex, then it is generally exhibiting dominance.

I initially had two brothers and one of them, Bubba, was overwhelming dominant. Bratty teenagers........he would almost constantly mount Chester, nip at him, and take food away from him. After a while, he no longer bothered to mount him from the rear........he would just mount his head! :rolleyes:

After Bubba died, I had Chester neutered with the idea of getting him a female roommate. I once brought a little sow home for a trial visit and Chester gave her a couple of cursory "humps" to show her who was boss.........and then settle down for a snack and a cuddle.

By all means, get your piggies sexed as soon as possible, especially if you aren't confident in your ability to do so.

I am confident in my ability to.

I will use the method that bpatters specified. I will be able to do this tomorrow.

I am not to late, am I? I feel kinda bad.

Last edited:
Zuidy, we don't know if you're too late or not. I hope not. And I hope they're both females. Where did you get these pigs? If you got them from a guinea pig rescue, they're probably correctly sexed. Anywhere else, and all bets are off.

Even if you can't check right now, you should at least separate them now. Just putting up some grids will do. This could save you a few days, but you really should check soon, they may wiggle and squirm, but I don't think they will be too too scared, and it will be worth it.

Even if you can't check right now, you should at least separate them now. Just putting up some grids will do. This could save you a few days, but you really should check soon, they may wiggle and squirm, but I don't think they will be too too scared, and it will be worth it.

I will check tomorrow. I am sorry I can't right now.

Hope you guys don't look down on me as ignorant now.

I am confused-- these are your pigs, right? Oh wait, are you out of town or something? Can your petsitter check for you? It's really important to make sure as soon as you can.

I am confused-- these are your pigs, right? Oh wait, are you out of town or something? Can your petsitter check for you? It's really important to make sure as soon as you can.

Yes these are my pigs. I was visiting my mom, who lives in the same city as I do. I am at my mom's again, but have been home since then.

The more I study the pigs, I don't think they were mounting anymore. Our hide boxes seem to be cramped, but we have 3, and I think they just got scared and were crowded.

I still haven't checked the sexes, my Guinea Pigs stay in their hiding huts ALL day long, and when they come out, I quick go and check on them and try to get them into their hide boxes, and they run into their boxes. I have tried and tried, and I cannot get them to stop being so scared and they won't get shooed into a hidebox as bpatters said. It seems cruel to go in after the pigs and get them to go into the box....... it makes me feel bad. I am a brand new piggy owner, and I hope nobody looks at me as ignorant and foolish, I am trying the best I can. It just seems cruel to use the method you described, bpatters. Once I tried, I scared the piggies out of their mind. One finally got into the shoe box, I tried to pick it up, and the pig ran out and neither pig came out of their huts for the rest of the day. I was utterly disgusted at myself, and I will not be using that method again.

OK, I have a minor breakthrough, though. One of my Guinea Pigs has gotten used to me. I believe that tonight I will be able to and will try to pick her up and check her sex. This will be a big milestone for me, honestly.

I just know that with every post, I am probably doing something wrong most of the time and most of you more experienced users always tell me so. Just know I try my best. I didn't come here to be told I am doing horrible at raising my pigs. I have done EVERYTHING everybody has suggested to me in the whole time of me being a piggy owner. Most of it has worked, but the times that it doesn't, I really don't want to put up with being called ignorant and a horrible owner for the pigs when all I am seeking is advice. I want opinions and advice. So, after writing this, PLEASE do not become mad with me. I am doing my best, honestly. My piggies are happy.

If worst comes to worst and a piggy DOES become pregnant, believe me, I won't be here much. I will be taking care of the little babies being the best father I can be.

As I watch my piggies move around, I don't see any noticeable testicles which is a good thing. In a book that I am reading about our favorite Cavies, it says that boars will have noticeable testicles. Which, mine don't.

However, I PROMISE I will do 100% my best to check the sexes in a bit.

Thanks everyone for all of your help, I am trying my hardest.

It has been 4 days since you were implored to check their sexes by various users... you really should do it now, not "in a bit." Don't be afraid to scare them by picking them up... much better that than you having a litter of guinea pigs, along with the potentially serious health problems that come with guinea pig pregnancies.

You say you have done "EVERYTHING everybody has suggested to me in the whole time of me being a piggy owner", yet you still haven't done the single most important thing... getting them sexed!

Sorry, but you aren't doing everything right. I would suggest you stop begging the message board members to not be mad, and start taking the right steps. Since you don't want to be called ignorant, what might you call someone who chooses to risk a pig getting pregnant because they want to "wait a bit" (4 days and counting...) instead of doing what is right for their pigs?

It has been 4 days since you were implored to check their sexes by various users... you really should do it now, not "in a bit." Don't be afraid to scare them by picking them up... much better that than you having a litter of guinea pigs, along with the potentially serious health problems that come with guinea pig pregnancies.

You say you have done "EVERYTHING everybody has suggested to me in the whole time of me being a piggy owner", yet you still haven't done the single most important thing... getting them sexed!

Sorry, but you aren't doing everything right. I would suggest you stop begging the message board members to not be mad, and start taking the right steps. Since you don't want to be called ignorant, what might you call someone who chooses to risk a pig getting pregnant because they want to "wait a bit" (4 days and counting...) instead of doing what is right for their pigs?

Yup. I expected this to happen.

All I can and will say is I will check the sexes tonight.

You said on the 31st that you would check them "tomorrow", which would have been the first of the year. You've basically repeated the "I'll get to it" line multiple times. This is a serious care issue for your pigs, and you really wonder why you got the response you did from me?

Go sex your pigs, or possibly end up with a pregnant one. I hope you don't manage the rest of their care like you do this very serious issue.

You said on the 31st that you would check them "tomorrow", which would have been the first of the year. You've basically repeated the "I'll get to it" line multiple times. This is a serious care issue for your pigs, and you really wonder why you got the response you did from me?

Go sex your pigs, or possibly end up with a pregnant one. I hope you don't manage the rest of their care like you do this very serious issue.

I realize I have totally messed up and I accept the fact that I did and am going to reverse it. I WILL check the sexes tonight regardless. REGARDLESS. No matter how ignorant I have been, I want to apologize to everybody here for my childish, pointless, dragging-on remarks and saying I will get to it. I am not saying that anymore. I am saying I WILL. Not maybe. WILL. I hope you all can forgive me. I screwed up. I recognize that fact. I will never be so selfish and stupid again. I promise.

PROMISE.

You don't need to make promises. The only reason I chime in is for the sake of the pigs. You'll realize that a lot of the zeal for proper pig care comes from our experience with these animals, many of us being volunteers/fosters/rescue members. I only spoke up about what you said because your lack of action could adversely affect the health of your pigs. If you were promising to take a picture and putting it off, I wouldn't have replied.

If you have time to log onto a computer, you have time to sex a guinea pig.

If you are unsure, even in the slightest, you can try to take the clearest picture possible and post it here for second opinions.

You don't need to make promises. The only reason I chime in is for the sake of the pigs. You'll realize that a lot of the zeal for proper pig care comes from our experience with these animals, many of us being volunteers/fosters/rescue members. I only spoke up about what you said because your lack of action could adversely affect the health of your pigs. If you were promising to take a picture and putting it off, I wouldn't have replied.

If you have time to log onto a computer, you have time to sex a guinea pig.

If you are unsure, even in the slightest, you can try to take the clearest picture possible and post it here for second opinions.

I know. Thank you.

I will sex them tonight. I should be able to tell but I may post a picture for you experts to see if I am unsure.

Thanks. I appreciate your help.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.