Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets 2 different types or 1?

geo13

Cavy Slave
as many may know we adopted a neww opiggie from @CrazyMom and have decided to name him simba. my husband loves that name and thinks it fits him so well since he is very outgoing and reminds us aloot of the charcter of simba. anywho he is only 3 months old i believe and i know that they are given pellets with alfalfa . how do i go about serving him his and know that bailey and lucky wont go eat his little bowl? they have their own km pellets without alfalfa but im not sure if the little one can have the regular one he seems to munch on it quite a bit plus on hay and fresh veggies .(UPDATE for @CrazyMom they all had a bath together and you truly can rest assured little simba is very well cared for and i am not talking about me im talking about Bailey , My big lil man is such a big softy he litterally leads little simba everywhere and also protects and shows him how to get up to places its the CUTEST thing ever!!) anywho is it ok for him to eat the regular km pellets or is it very important i get him to only eat alfalfa pelllets?if so how do i go about feeding without the other two wanting in on the goods? [GuineaPigCages.com] 2 different types or 1?

He is SO cute! I'm not positive, but I don't think it's a big deal if he eats some of the regular pellets as long as he gets some alfalfa ones as well. Perhaps he can be separated for some alfalfa pellets a couple times a day? Sorry, I had two young guys at the same time so I didn't need to deal with 2 age groups :) Maybe someone more experienced will jump in...but I had to say how cute I think that little guy is and I love that Bailey has taken to him so well.

i hope so too i mean i really would like to provide simba the perfect diet

He can eat the regular timothy pellets, just give him some veggies with extra calcium, like parsley, during lap time.

He can eat the regular timothy pellets, just give him some veggies with extra calcium, like parsley, during lap time.
so alfalfa is not a must? just extra vitamin c?

I've been having the same issue! Fella is 3-4 years old and Junior is around 3 months. I got some alfalfa hay for Junior...and he won't eat it! Of course, if Fella even smells ONE piece of it, he goes right for it. I need to start giving him some extra Vit C veggies by himself. I did read somewhere that they can actually eat Vit C supplement tabs (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but I'd rather go the veggie route.

Vitamin C and calcium are NOT the same thing. Here's the link for the diet chart. You can click on the top of the column, and it will show the veggies high in calcium.
https://www.guinealynx.info/chart.html

@PattyPie I've seen people say they can have Vitamin C Tablets too. They just can't have it added to their water as it causes dehydration. (The Vitamin C doesn't last in water long and gives it a funny taste, discouraging drinking.) If you can give vegetables high in Vitamin C, though, that's the route most preferred any way. :)

I cannot tell but I am so happy they are good! And that I found such a wonderful pig mom! I knew I wasn't the only crazy one out there lol!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.