Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior 2 bonded pigs plus 2 bonded pigs equals. . .?

jacqueline

Cavy Slave
the reason i have two 2X4 cages is because of the adolescent boys fighting. so cage 1 has a kramer (7 month old male) and george (5 year old male) cage 2 has jerry (7 month old male) and newman (4 year old male). once they're through their teen-age boy madness, i'd like to join them and have all four together in a 2X8 cage. has anyone every tried something similar? i've read through all the introduction stuff, and have used that when bringing the older boys home from rescues. but i'm not sure how to go about introducing 4 pigs to each other, especially when they know each other anyone, at least a bit. what have your experiences been? is it worth it for me to try this even?

pinky

Cavy Slave
All you can do is try. I tried to merge two separate female groups (a pair with a trio) with no success. Even though I tried slow introductions, it didn't work. I think the problem was that the pair was made up of a mother-daughter and the mom was very possessive of the daughter even though she's also an adult. When one of the trio got chummy and shared a pigloo with the daughter, the mom went ballistic. It was odd because they seemed to all get along for a couple of days before that. They were rolling in a ball, fighting. I had to put pigloos over them. Make sure you slowly introduce them and follow the disinfected cage routine. I've done a lot of successful introductions so I know my pair can't share a cage with any others. My trio is always receptive to a new friend, though.

Inle_Rabbit

Moderator / Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Gazer
I have four boars in a 2x7 and they are happy as can be. They were all singles though introduced one at a time. I hope it works for you.

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
I don't have boars, however, I have introduced two different, bonded groups of girls before. The one was my two teddy guineas that I have had for a while now named Phoenix and Godric. The other was a mother and baby named Fus and Ro Dah. I think what really helped was they they were in cages next to each other, so that they could see, hear and smell the other pigs. The intro went perfect, and I did it just the normal way you would do it with 2 pigs meeting. There of course was the normal mounting, chasing and nose contests, to find out who would be boss (Ended up being Fus) but other then that all went very well. :D

CaptainMarvel

Cavy Slave
There of course was the normal mounting, chasing and nose contests, to find out who would be boss (Ended up being Fus) but other then that all went very well. :D
How long did the mounting and "stand offs" continue for?

We recently (about 2 weeks ago) brought in another male to try to socialize/be friends with our existing male ... and each time we put them together, the older male goes right for the mounting ... followed by stand-off gurgling and even some teeth chatter. No blood letting or anything ... but it's hard to watch all of this other stuff happen and not think that the new/slightly smaller pig isn't feeling tortured by all of this.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
How long did the mounting and "stand offs" continue for?

We recently (about 2 weeks ago) brought in another male to try to socialize/be friends with our existing male ... and each time we put them together, the older male goes right for the mounting ... followed by stand-off gurgling and even some teeth chatter. No blood letting or anything ... but it's hard to watch all of this other stuff happen and not think that the new/slightly smaller pig isn't feeling tortured by all of this.

Any thoughts?

Well it depends on the pigs and the situation. For me, there was no mounting during the intros, just a little butt chasing and all. The mounting started once they were in the same cage.

You said "Each time we put them together" Does that mean that you have been separating them? If you are make sure not to any more, because if you separate them during intros, the next time they will just have to start all over again with finding out who is boss. You just need to intro them once for about 1 hour give or take some, and as long as there is no blood shed, they can be put right into a very clean cage together, so that there are no smells of either pig.

All the mounting and such that you are talking about is totally normal. It's just the one pig making sure the other knows that he is the boss. Your smaller pig will be totally fine. :D Just make sure that nothing turns into blood shed.

My Phoenix was the same way when I introduced Fus. Phoenix used to be the top female, but the Fus took her place. Whenever Fus would mount or chase her, she would scream out as if she was being hurt, but I knew she was fine and checked her for bite marks and such every day, after a while, and after Fus made sure everyone know she was boss, Phoenix and her are now the best of friends, and have no problems being together. Also make sure to weigh your pigs more often once you have them in the same cage, and that you have double of everything for the added pig. This is because some pigs will guard food and such, not letting the other one eat, weighing helps you to make sure that no one is losing weight from not being able to eat. :)

And last but not least, a big cage also helps a TON it makes sure that each pig has a chance to get away from the other, and chill out without having to be near them. :D

Hope this helps! (Sorry for the long speech xD)

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptainMarvel

Cavy Slave
It does help . . . We're kind of new to the "multiple guinea pigs" thing, so - even though we've read some things about this behavior being normal - it was difficult to see them squaring off like that. Nevertheless, the insight you provided is very helpful - and, so long as there is no bloodshed, I think we're going to put them on the same level in the cage (lots of room, luckily) and let them "work it out" per se.

Kooky Kritters, these Guinea Pigs ... aren't they?

;)

THANK YOU, again !!!

arcangel

Cavy Slave
lol skyrim names

CaptainMarvel

Cavy Slave
What about teeth clicking/chattering at each other .... is this "normal" activity as well?

PigPandemonium

Cavy Slave
Yep :) as long as it is just a little, and is doesn't not turn into a all out fight. Even just pulling out little tuffs of hair is fine, as long is there is not blood shed, it's all good :D

sewlittle

Cavy Slave
We have a bonded pair and bonded trio...and a single...they all get along. but I think it depends on the personalities.

Last edited:

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Make sure cages are large enough. Some lofts are too small, and pigs can get trapped. Some ramps don't have sides, and pigs can get pushed off. Take out all pigloos and other houses with only one entrance.

Oh, and it helps to give more veggies and greens than usual during this time. It can keep them distracted.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.