Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior 1 year old & babies

gk470

Cavy Slave
Hello!

There is a one year old sow that needs a home. It's been many years since I've owned a guinea pig so I've been spending some time reading on their care, especially on here. I don't have any pets at the moment. I adopted a 12 year old kitty several years ago but unfortunately she passed away last year. It didn't take long to know what her personality was like shortly after meeting her before adoption. With the 1 year old guinea, will her personality already be developed and not change a whole lot?

I see many baby guineas needing homes but am unsure if that is the way to go. I have always liked older pets. Is it more of a gamble to adopt a baby because their personalities haven't developed yet? And are babies more energetic than 1 year olds? Just trying to figure out differences between adult and baby guineas so any help I can get is appreciated!

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
It depends on what you are looking for in a guinea pig. Baby pigs are very cute but they don't stay still long. They aren't the type that will sit and cuddle in your lap. They are always on the move. They will popcorn the whole day long which is hilarious and super entertaining. You also would need to baby proof the cage. They can sometimes get their heads stuck.

If you are looking for a cuddle buddy, I would lean toward an adult but keep in mind that the level of willingness to cuddle depends more on the personality of the pig than on it just being an adult. Not all pigs will tolerate cuddling but older pigs will be still long enough to attempt it.

gk470

Cavy Slave
I don't have anything specific I'm looking for in a guinea pig. It's more of a question of when you meet a 1 year old guinea, will her personality be apparent and not change a whole lot versus if I were to get baby guinea pigs, show them all the love and attention and proper care they need, yet their personalities could drastically change from the day I meet them (at 5 weeks old) to all the days after?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Personalities of adult pigs don't change much, although you might be able to socialize one that hadn't had much interaction with people. Food treats, properly applied, goes a long way to winning a guinea pig's heart!

It's also impossible to know what kind of personalities pups will have when they're grown, regardless of the kind of love and attention they've had.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.