Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels 1 story or a 2 story C and C cage???? Help!!!!!!!!

bubbles101

Cavy Slave
At the moment I have a cage from the pet store and dont like it. So i am planning to build a C and C cage but dont know if i should have an upper level too. :guilty: Concidering cleaning and bedding and safety. Any help would be helpful :D.

My advice is to build the biggest one level cage you can. Easier to clean than multi level and you can always add a loft later. The main floor is the only one that really counts, when you are considering space for your guinea pig.

I started with a 2x3, within a week moved to a 2x4. I have 2 pigs. Within a month I had built them a 1x2 upper level with a ramp going to it and then a bridge across the back to a second 1x2. Very easy to clean, I use the bridge to the other eating area as their hay loft and the ramp up to the first 1x2 (the first up they have) for a kitchen area. I found that cleaning this was far better than a 1 level because all the hay and food wasn't all over the cage. I also use only fleece...I actually make fleece liners to resale, along with beds and caves.
I have all their beds and sleeping items below and honestly when you bend grids to give them ramps, it's safe and gives the exercise too.
I attached a pic for you to see. Don't pay too much attention to the mismatched fleece colors. 1 story or a 2 story C and C cage???? Help!!!!!!!!

I like to have a loft/second story. I put beds and hideys on the top floor and leave the bottom open for running.

Thank-you so much, the info really helped me. I decided to start with i level and build as time goes on. Thanks so much :p

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.